ii

|february 2009, age 11|

"michaaaeelllll!" lily groaned, "tell me what you're so happy about or else!"

"or else what?" michael smirked.

"or else, you-you can't sleepover my house tonight." lily said matter-of-factly.

"wow lilian, thats low even for you," michael said, using lily's full name always annoyed her. "fine, i got a girlfriend!"

lily clapped her hand over her mouth, "you got a girlfriend! who?"

"anna henry," michael whispered. "i asked her out and she said yes!"

"wow," lily said softly, "that's great mikey!" no one in their grade had ever been in a relationship.

"i know right! hey, you'll find a boyfriend soon, don't worry."

lily shrugged, "nah, my dad said i wasn't allowed until i was sixteen!"

"then you'll get one when you're sixteen," michael laughed.

"that's in five years from today!" lily complained.

"i bet those will be the fastest five years of your life," michael teased. "anyways, i'll be over right after school, i just have to get your present and my sleepover bag from my house."

lily smiled. today was her eleventh birthday so what better way to spend it than a sleepover with her best friend. she didn't want a big party inviting every kid in the class, she just wanted michael to come over and play video games with her.

later that night when michael came over the pizza was ready and the tv was set up. colleen even put down her phone to celebrate her sister's birthday. noah even called and sang happy birthday to lily. so far, best birthday ever. michael and lily both had four slices of pizza before eating cake. after cake, it was present time. from her dad, lily had gotten super mario galaxy and donkey kong: jungle beat. colleen had given her a zebra stripped hoodie, that lily would probably never wear (it was a hand-me-down after all). and lily's favorite gift was michael's. he gave her a purple game cube controller to represent zelda, and lily knew michael had a green one, for link.

after presents, lily and michael went downstairs and played with lily's new games, lily and michael already know how to play them though, since michael had already gotten them. the two also had an intense mario kart tournament, in which lily beat michael by just five points. and the last thing they did was play the legend of zelda: four swords adventure on the gamecube, testing out lily's new controller.

soon after all that gaming, the two drifted off to sleep.

a week after lily's party, michael seemed more upset on the bus.

"michael, what's wrong? you should be happy i'm coming over today!" lily said trying to cheer her best friend up.

"a-anna dumped me." michael said sadly.

"oh, michael. i'm sorry." lily mumbled.

"i really liked her, too." he said, even sadder.

"she's missing out, you're amazing and you will get another girlfriend." lily said making michael smile.

"thanks lil, i don't know what i'd do without you." michael blushed.

+

these first couple chapters are short because there's only so much a fifth grader can do

also i love the cover i made lmao