xiv

|i totally lied the next chapter is the epilogue so...|

college was harder than michael expected. he was an undeclared major, he didn't know what he wanted to do with his life.

but unlike high school michael found a group of friends, the only group that would accept him. being friends with them had just one catch: drugs. michael took the drugs thinking if he did it once nothing would happen, he was wrong. being high gave him a feeling of euphoria to forget he was a faliure, and to forget he fell in love with his best friend. if only lily was there to stop him, or to tell him everything was going to be okay. but michael hadn't even spoken to her in weeks.

and whenever he could michael took whatever drugs that were available to him.

then the voices started. the voices in michael's head got louder and louder.

everytime lily tried calling or texting michael would ignore her because of his voices. they would tell him lily didn't have time to help him, that she wouldn't ever love a stoner like him.

certain drugs made him forget everything, but these had an aftermath of voices. and michael thought it was worth it.

eventually he dropped out of college, the voices said it was a waste of his time.

at this point michael knew lily was crazy worried about him.

i just want to talk to you michael, i need to talk to you. she would text him stuff like that nearly everyday.

she probably wants to tell you she has a new boyfriend the voices said.

michael wanted to ignore lily, but he was so alone, so scared, so stupid. he felt so worthless, so he tried stopping the drugs. but every time he tried, he failed. he couldn't keep away from them. he loved being high, he loved forgetting for as long as that lasted. michael wasn't sure how long he could take it.

it was february 14th, aka lily's birthday. he couldn't not talk to lily as much as he wanted to, so he called her and she answered.

"michael oh my gosh are you okay?" lily asked immediately, she was crying.

"well i don't know" michael answered. "how are you?"

"i haven't been able to sleep well because i was so worried about you. what happened?"

michael took a deep breath, "i just... i'm  worthless lily, i am. i can't do this anymore. i've been wasting my life and i just can't do this."

"michael what do you mean?"

"i'm so sorry, i wish you, the best of luck. happy birthday lily. i love you, goodbye."

before she could answer michael hung up. it pained him to hear her worry about him. he thought talking to lily would help, but it did just the opposite. if she knew all the awful stuff michael had done she would probably hate him forever.

he wanted to get better, but he didn't know how.

+

next chapter will be the epilogue ye