iv

|december, 2011, age 13|

the first few weeks of eighth grade were pretty decent for lily. she just did was she did best, put her head down and avoid as much conversation as possible. in fact, that whole term was already good. that was until she started art.

lily took art because she enjoyed it. other kids took art because it was more appealing than home economics. so lily was stuck with the burnouts and the plastics. nobody in that class really appreciated art. so lily sat at the back of the class sketching video game characters.

"hey ginger ale," she heard someone shout from across the room.

lily knew they were trying to talk to her, so she looked up. "what?"

emma, one of the plastics was heading to the back of the room where lily was, "so we were just wondering, well, you see, i care about you, i really do. and my cousins boyfriends sister, also struggled with anorexia, and she's totally recovered. so if you want, i can give her a call and hook you up with a really good doctor." emma smirked.

"what i, i don't starve myself honestly." lily said putting her pencil down.

"it's okay, lil. you can be honest with me." emma whispered.

"okay first of all don't call me lil, and second of all, i already said i'm not anorexic so please leave me alone."

emma's eyes lit up, "so you're bulimic?"

"no!" lily said exasperated.

"i'll give you some numbers when i hear from my cousins boyfriends sister." emma put her hand on lily's shoulder. "oh my gosh, what are you drawing."

"n-nothing." lily mumbled hiding her sketch of hyrule castle.

"oh come on ginger ale, lemme see!" emma urged.

"please just leave me alone," lily said flatly.

"awe, now c'mon. i bet you're really good."

"i already said no."

emma sighed, "pretty please."

since lily knew emma wouldn't go away until lily showed her, she pulled her arm away revealing the almost finished drawing.

"what is it supposed to be?" emma asked with a sideways expression.

"it's nothing you'd understand." lily mumbled quickly.

"oh wait! it's a castle how cute!"

"yeah whatever, now can you please leave i need to finish it." lily urged.

"wait what's the weird triangle thing in the corner. oh my god it's an illuminati castle!" emma gasped.

"no it's the hyrule family crest!" lily defended.

"what the hell is a hyrule?"

lily bit her lip, "it's a place from a video game."

"say that a little louder, i didn't catch that," but lily knew emma heard exactly what she said.

"it's a place from a video game!" lily said louder.

"thought so," emma laughed and walked away.

luckily it was the last day before winter break, so she wouldn't have to deal with anyone in her art class for a couple weeks.

on the bus that say lily repeated the conversation with emma in her head, totally ignoring all her surroundings.

lily, are you even listening to me?" michael nagged.

"oh, sorry. i was uh, distracted." lily blushed.

"it's alright, i was just saying how exited i was for christmas, but what's on your mind?"

should she tell him? would he care. yes of course he would care, he's your best friend. "well, it's just this girl in my art class. it's nothing important. soo, you're coming over my house christmas eve and i'm coming over christmas morning after colleen-"

"what happened in art class?"

"like i said, it's not important. so noah might be coming over-"

"tell me." michael demanded.

"fine," so lily told him a summary of their conversation.

"lil, how could you not tell me sooner!"

"i didn't want you to get upset, it's not really a big deal." lily mumbled.

"this is a huge deal! she has no right to treat you like that!" michael said angrily.

lily just shrugged, because she honestly didn't know what to say.

"if she keeps this up you have to tell someone!"

"no really, i don't want to draw attention to it. she won't do it again probably." lily mumbled.

so that was the end of that conversation.

but it didn't matter what emma thought, because in two days, it was  christmas eve. michael and his mom came over for dinner. and the next morning, after lily, colleen, and her dad exchanged gifts, lily went over to michael's house. over break she had forgotten all about emma and her art class. and she hoped michael did too.

+

triple update what am i doing

where is my chill help me find it