9: I Insist

As I rolled into the parking lot she unbuckled her seatbelt. The rain had cleared up but the clouds were still grey."Um, Do you mind getting Lani please? I can't really carry her and I don't want to wake her." She smiled sheepishly and I nodded laughing as her cheeks turned pink. "No problem."

"We both got out and she went to my trunk and started taking the stuff out the car. It wasn't a lot probably like 5 or 6 bags for me and two for her. "April?" She looked over to me and I handed her the house key. "Here" She took them from my hands and after collecting about 4 bags on one arm, she walked to the door.

I opened the back of my car and slowly unbuckled Lani's seatbelt. She didn't move so I carefully picked her up under her arms and her head rested on my shoulder. She stirred a little bit but got comfortable and fell back asleep. I carried her into the house and saw April put the stuff away. I tried putting Lani on the couch but she wouldn't let me go. "Come on Lani" I whispered and sat down trying to get her off.

I failed and ended up just sitting on the couch with the little 4 year old on my chest. "Do you want me to take her? I didn't realize she would cling on to you that much." She asked coming over and I shook my head. "It's okay. As long as she's comfortable then I'm okay." She smiled and was about to to speak when her phone cut her off by vibrating. "Hello?" She answered as her feet took her into the dining room I'm guessing for more privacy.

It was still early so we were the only people (minus Lani since she KO'd)  awake.

She came back in and sat on the chair next to me. "So is everything okay?" She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and shook her head. "My sister needs me to take her to the airport but I don't know what I'm going to do because she doesn't have a car seat for Lani and I know I let her come here without one but that was because you have a middle seat but my sister doesn't and it's hard..." She kept on rambling and I interrupted her careful not to wake Lani. "I'll watch her until you come back." She shook her head I'm guessing not agreeing with me.

"No you've already done so much I just-" I cut her off again. "Go ahead. Call her and tell her. I insist on watching Lani until you come back." She smiled and nodded picking up her phone and walking out.

Lani finally loosened up a bit and I put her down on the couch as I got up to get something to drink. After briefly examining the fridge I decided on a bottle of fruit punch. April came into the kitchen and I looked at her smiling. "Everything okay now?" I asked resting the bottle on the counter and she nodded. "Thank you so much!" Her smile was huge and it made mine grow too. "No problem. So do you know when you'll be back?" I saw as her fingers wrestled each other twisting as she thought.

"Well it's almost 6 so I'll probably be back by no later than 9?" I nodded and before I could say something I was cut off by a little girls voice. "Mommy?" Lani woke up and came into the kitchen. "Yes pumpkin?" "Where are we?" April bent down to match height with her daughter and softly rubbed her back. "We're at Mr. Cena's house Lani. He's going to watch you for a little bit while mommy drops off auntie Erica at the airport but I'll tell her you love her okay?' She nodded and kissed Aprils cheek before April hugged me and left.

"So.." I clapped getting the young girls attention . "What do you want to do Lani?"