Embers

"You're sure."

"Yes."

" . . . absolutely positive?"

"Yes."

" . . . one hundred percent - ?"

"Doctor!" Rory finally shouted, fed up as he pinched the bridge of his nose, pacing at the foot of the bed, Jessie lying down on it, unconscious, with the Doctor fidgeting next to her, Amy watching from the doorway in concern. "I have no idea what happened, all right? One moment she was fine, and the next, she's . . . " He made a helpless motion. "Like this."

"She complained about a headache earlier, didn't she?" Amy tried to help. "Maybe it was just a bad headache?"

The Doctor paused to think, running his hand through his hair. He winced, but sighed. "I don't know."

Rory sighed as well. "Well, without knowing exactly what's wrong with her . . . I'm sorry, Doctor, but I don't know what else to do."

"No, no, thank you, Rory," the Doctor nodded to him.

"Night night, Doctor," Amy said softly, waving as she and Rory left, Rory closing the door behind him . . .

As soon as the door clicked shut, the Doctor seethed in pain, turning to the wall, squeezing his eyes shut and trying to think through the needles pricking his head. "You feel it, too?" Jessie asked hoarsely as she stirred.

"Oh, yes," the Doctor nodded, taking his jacket off and climbing onto the bed next to her, the two of them just lying there, looking at each other. "And Rassilon, it hurts."

"I'm sorry," Jessie whispered, reaching up to touch his temple. The Doctor flinched only slightly, but Jessie openly grimaced as he did the same to her. "It's just . . . what is this?"

"I don't know," the Doctor admitted. "But if we don't go insane from pain first . . . I think we need to find out."

"And soon."

***

One of these days where I would not like to be Amy and Rory, seeing these two like this . . . even if they just saw Jessie.

Speaking of which . . . I wouldn't want to be them, either. :/

But, in exchange for a painful interlude, we will get what I thought was a brilliant episode next! My take on "The Doctor's Wife" will be updated soon!