Chapter Three

3

The rest of the day passed without an incident. Cayden didn't talk to me, or even get close to me for that matter, due to only having one period after Lunch and on Monday's, I finished the day with History and him Spanish. To be fair, Cayden is a total womanizer and literally only took Spanish, a subject the rest of South were ready to drop, because Kyle in Year Ten had said there was going to be a new, younger, hotter and more willing female teacher come year nine. Nope, still ole Mr McCraken and his sweaty armpits.

"Lauren?" My mum's voice rang out from the kitchen as I opened to door. There was a distinctive smell of burnt something in the air.

"Er, Mum," I started, slipping off my black pumps and chucking the keys on the chest of drawers by the door. "I'm not trying to be rude --"

"Except she is," Elliot commented, coming down the stairs via the banister.

"But what on earth have you attempted to cook this time?" I finished, pausing from removing my blazer to glare at my younger brother.

"I can't even say it!" Mum's downcast voice pulled on my heart strings. "Lauren, you don't think you could...?"

I dumped my bag on the stairs, walked past Elliot, shoving him into the door frame and entered the kitchen. "Sure, what is it tonight? What's the occasion?"

"Alison and Peter are coming." Mum replied, washing her hands under the tap and putting the charred food in the bin.

"Are they bringing Isabella and Jamie this time?" Elliot asked, rubbing his shoulder.

"I assume so." Mum answered, sitting herself down at the kitchen table where piles of paper work was stacked.

"Wait," I said as the thought hit me. "Jamie? As in Jamie Ford?"

Mum nodded. "Why?"

"I'm going out with the girls tonight." I muttered quickly.

Jamie Ford and I weren't very good friends. He was one of Cayden's closest 'bros' and the one person he trusted the most. Jamie never let any chance to embarrass me go to waste, and I could only imagine what he'd do later...

-

Caaaaaydeeen: Lozzzaaa!
LaurenGreene: What do you want Cayden?
Caaaaaydeeen: To talk to my bezzo, of course!
LaurenGreene: You're an idiot.
Caaaaaydeeen: An idiot you love ;)
LaurenGreene: I swear, why are you so interested in me all of a sudden?
Caaaaaydeeen: Because you're gorgeous.
LaurenGreene: Get lost.
Caaaaaydeen: What you doing tonight?
LaurenGreene: Nothing, probably wandering the streets, waiting for everyone to leave the house. Why?
Caaaaaydeeen: Meet me. @6 Old Oak Tree in the park.
LaurenGreene: What? Why?
LaurenGreene: Cayden?

LaurenGreene: Cayden?!

Caaaaaydeeen Has Gone Offline.

LaurenGreene: Arse.

-

I walked into the park five minutes early, don't blame me, punctuality cost nothing. However, I knew for sure Cayden wouldn't appear for ten minutes yet. I glanced around the park and covered my wrists more with my loose grey jumper I had thrown on. It's not as I if actually do... It on my arms, it's just a force of habit.

My feet propelled me forwards towards the memorial bench in front of the tree Cayden had suggested.

Joseph Francis

He genuinely hated this park with every fibre of his being.An amazing Grandfather, Father and Husband1956 to 2002

I rolled my eyes before sinking down onto the wood, there were tears forming in my eyes. I had no explanation for that, I hadn't even known Mr Francis very well, all I remember is that he was, I think, related to Brooke.

"Hey, Lauren," A male voice said. I jumped in surprise to find Cayden sitting on the bench next to me. "Been day-dreaming?"

"How long have you been there?" I asked, rubbing my eyes quickly.

"Long enough to notice you're upset. Now, what's up?"

There was genuine concern in his voice. "What did you want to see me for?" I snapped back, not liking his blue eyes staring at my head.

"Oh yeah," Cayden said, relaxing back, legs outstretched and a hand on my bare thigh that made me wince. "I need a favour."

"What?" I asked, there was an odd twinkle in his beautiful eyes.

"Well, Holly and that Noah kid or currently seeing each other..."

"It's true?!" I exclaimed.

"Don't make it bait, Lozza, please," Cayden sighed. "Anyway, I need to make her jealous. I still think she likes me,"

"Like you did to me in Year Seven?" I asked in a deadpan voice that made Cayden remove his hand and look into my eyes.

"Wait, what?"

"Like you did to me in Year Seven. You knew I liked you, you knew! Ella couldn't keep her gob shut long enough! Then, being the total and utter arse-hole you are, you asked out Myah! And Myah knew too, yet she still made me reply to you on her behalf. Do you know how much it broke me, Cayden? Obviously you don't. I was the awkward, tall, geeky kid who everyone used. A little bit died inside of me that day. I knew I wasn't pretty, I'm not fucking stupid. But I knew that you'd never look at me the same way you look at other girls, never ever. But I still liked you and you killed me, little by little, whether you meant it or not." I was standing up by the time I'd finished.

"I--I didn't know. Honestly, Lauren, I didn't." Cayden looked a little shocked after my escapade. Good.

"Yes you damn well did," I spat back. "You just didn't give a crap."

"You're gorgeous, come off it. You must be insane to think otherwise." Cayden stated, reaching for my limp wrists.

I had no energy left to fight him off.

"Sit down, come on. I just need this ONE favour and, by the way, I'm so sorry for that. I've changed, Lozza, you know that."

He pulled me next to him and slung an arm across my shoulders.

"Wait, are you crying?"

And I was. It was a stupid move and I knew Cayden was likely to pester me about it for ages, but I had just broke down. The whole Flash-Back had shattered all the pieces I had tried to stick together with sellotape.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm fine," I whispered, burying my head into his shoulder before snapping my head back up. "Jade! No, Cayden, I can't do this... I mean, I hate Holly but..."

"Hey," He said, wiping my eyes. "I've spoken to Jade. She's claiming she's over me, text her if you like. The other girls know too, so don't worry about that. That's actually what we were talking about when you got told to shove off and they all agreed it would be interesting. But I need your help, Lozza, you're the only one I can trust to keep this quiet."

I bit back a sob. "Okay. I'll do it, just because I'm a nice person."

"Oh thank you!" Cayden exclaimed, pulling me into a hug.

"Get off me, you lump!" I said, attempting to push him off of me. "Oh God, what have I done?"

"Just confessed your love for me, baby," Cayden replied with a wink.

I laughed. "No one's here, cut the crap."

"Yes Ma'am."

Author'sNote:

COMMENT, VOTE, SHARE AND ALL THAT JAZZ!
-H