Part 4 : It felt right

Balancing a blueberry pie, my bag and keys as I walked down my driveway was not an easy task. The pie was still hot too. Suddenly Julia appeared in front of me with a bunch of files. She scanned me from the top to my toes.

"Take a picture Julia, it will last longer." That snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Sorry Ms. Ica, I just need your signature for a few important documents, and I realize I caught you at the wrong time." She said as she gave me a cynical smile.

"Alright, Place the files on the lawn table and hold this pie." I said as I passed the pie to her.

"A pie! And a gorgeous outfit, then the two days off plus a cruise. Ms. Ica you're on a roll here." Julia passed me a comment that made me think too but instead of replying to her I just read the files under the dim gate light and signed them. Gathered them and passed them to Julia as fast as I could.

"Thanks, Juls I really appreciate this." I smiled and eyed her to get going now.

"I got it crystal clearly Ms. Ica, may you have a wonderful evening" she murmured as she walked back to her car.

It is funny how with just a speckle of information people tend to draw a full life story. Keith can't be The Guy he is just too strict and hardly around. He is also loving, caring and responsible. As I walk towards the door, I could actually feel butterflies in my tummy. I have no idea why. I have been here more than once. Only God knows why I feel nervous. I didn't want to wait longer. By the second chime I could hear Amy shouting "Dad, Ica is here, she is finally here" the door opened. She ran towards me and hugged me. I gave Keith a helpless look. He stepped forward and took the pie from my hand, so I can huge Amy back.

"Amy let Ica enter first, bring her to the dining area please." Keith said and Amy nodded. I was dragged to the dining area. I loved the center piece there were tulips and candles. Suddenly I felt under dressed. The white china set and brass candle stick looked beautiful lined against the dark rosewood table. Every think looked shiny.

Dinner was absolutely delicious. Where did he catch such good cook?

"Tell me Keith, where did you import your chef from?" I asked.

"Ah the chef is local, but he is hardly around so if he is here, he cooks as best as he can. His name is Keith" Keith answered casually as Amy giggled and dropped her head in amusement.

"I can't believe it! They were all fantastic. I am impressed."

"Thank you Ica, now let us see what's for dessert?" Keith said as he removed the foil cover and peeked in.

"Well... well this is Amy's favourite. Blueberry pie." Keith announced.

"Really, daddy you not trying to trick me right?" Amy turned to me, she wanted to be sure.

I nodded my head to confirm the announcement. Amy was excited that she stood up on her feet.

"Not so fast young lady, finish your food first." Keith stopped her. It hardly took Amy 5 minutes to finish her food. We all started on dessert and my heart pumped faster as I saw Keith tasting it intricately, from the crust to the filling. I felt like a contestant in My Kitchen Rules. After the few of the longest seconds of my life he looked at me and said "This is really good, Ica. You have to share the recipe"

"Oh sure Keith, it was my Mothers recipe" I said as I looked at Amy. She was enjoying her pie with her eyes close. This little girl knows how to enjoy food. When she opened her eyes she saw me and grinned, her teeth were blue black with berries. I winked at her and raised my fork.

We finished dinner in silent. Then I offered to help with clean up. Keith informed me to get the forms from his study table and go through it while Keith went to put Amy in bed. I made my way to the study room. It wasn't difficult to find. It had a few floor to ceiling bookcases. There was a photo of a sweet looking lady on his study table. There was something written on it. I picked up the frame to have a closer look. NEVER LOSE THIS SMILE -Your wife forever- Amy looks so much like her mum. Their eyes nose and jaw line looked so similar and complimented each other. Even her brunet hair helps bring out the colour in her eyes.

"Beautiful isn't she?" Keith startled me.

"Yes she really is." I replied and saw Amy walking in with her head down. I was sure she didn't realize I am still here.

"Daddy, please help, I hate this button jammies" she voiced as she looked up and saw me. I could see her blush at that moment.

"Come here, Sweetie." He called her closer to the table. Carried her and made her sit on the table and fasten the buttons. I didn't want to disturb their moment. I felt like an intruder so I walk to the drawer and found the file. I took my place by the reading lamp to look through the forms. Out of the blues, I could hear loud giggles. I looked up and I saw him playing the tickle monster game with Amy. He was chuckling too. (Never seen him do that before.)

The same way Dad and I use to play when I was young. The room felt stuffy and cluttered, I got up and walked out to the balcony. Keith carried Amy to bed. She shouted good night before leaving though.

His balcony had a better view then mine. It was facing a lake, there was a cool breeze blowing on to my face but I felt a warm tear roll down my cheeks. I miss them. I have been running away from it long enough by making myself busy. I sank on to the swing at the balcony. Tears kept flowing till Keith appeared at the door way.

"Care for a stronger drink, Ica?" he asked.

"Yeah sure" I answered turning away long enough to wipe my face.

          "Are you alright, Ica?" Keith asked as he walked out with two glassed in his hands.

          "I am fine." I replied with a smile.

"Alright then can I have that please?" he said pointing at the yellow file I was hugging on to. While passing the file I realized there were tear stains on it.

"What is this then? You have been crying Ica. I am sure it wasn't raining here?" He said, placing the glass and file on the table before bringing his eyes to meet mine. It's a trap. I just looked down at my glass and nodded.

"Why? Did we say something wrongly?" Keith's eye was searching curiously.

"No, not at all, I just miss my parents. I miss the feeling to being loved. Looking at you and Amy reminded me of them."

"Sorry, dear. Maybe it is time to look at the past, in a more positive way." Keith dragged a chair, placed it right in front of me and took the glass from my hands. He placed it on the table before taking hold of both my hands and he told me to look at him.

"If whatever that happen in the past didn't happen, the present wouldn't have exist, right?" he asked.

"I don't get you, Keith? I was trying to understand him.

"Let's see if the past didn't happen, you would not have moved here, Amy wouldn't have met you, I wouldn't have met a nice girl like you...

"Nor seen you chuckling and playing with Amy..." I realized I thought out loud. That wasn't supposed to come out. Way to go Ica.

"What?" Keith was taken aback.

"Well yeah. I've never seen you playing with Amy and it was nice to see." I explained. He laughed at me.

"You are funny, like my sister when we were younger." Keith said and continued laughing.

"Why must it be like your sister can't we remove the word like?" there I said it. I don't know why I said it but it felt right. His laughter stopped immediately.

"What was that?" he heard it but he wants to hear it again, I am sure.

"Nothing, bygones." I answered.

"Ica, I heard you the first time. Some matters do not need to be declared in order for it to happen. It happens naturally. I think our relationship can be included in this category. Therefore the answer to your question is. Like was never meant to be there. Let us dump it."

"But I will not call you, brother in any language, deal?" I added.

"I will accept that." He said as he handed me the glass and winked.

as