Part 12 : The Lake House

"Hey, you look ravishing." Those were Keith's words the moment he laid eyes on me at my door step.

"You are not bad yourself" I returned his compliments.

Keith switched cars. He brought his BMW 7 series 2011. I know exactly how it would look like inside, as I was on the look to get myself the same model. He opened the door for me to get in. Then, he picked up my dress train and tossed it inside before closing the car door. Looked at the side mirror and I swear I saw him do a little hop. He seems a little excited. Why do I feel weird?

He drove very quietly until I asked him where were, we going? He smiled and winked and switched the music on. I took it; he doesn't want to share the information. Another surprise I supposed. We passed everything that was familiar and I was running out of guesses. Eventually, I gave up guessing. We were now heading down unfamiliar roads with very dim lights. I glanced at the clock in the car it was nearly 8 pm. Boy! this is a long way out.

"You are not planning to kill me and dump me right?" I asked trying to lighten my mood.

"No, why would you say that." He said narrowing his eyes on me.

"Just." I said shrugging my shoulders and smiled.

"We are nearly there, just a few more minutes" he assured me.

We finally pulled up at a lake house. The house was 80% glass and 20% wood. There was a small party going on. Keith turned off the car lights before parking it. Most of the women were in red and the men were in black. We got down and started walking towards the lake house. The pathway was narrow so Keith made me walk in front of him. Approaching the house it became clear that there were actually, two floors to the house and the top floor had an open sky roof. The weirdest thing was the left side of the house was pitch dark. Just a few second before we reached the door, Keith grabbed my hips to make me stop and whispered in my ears. "Just smile and nod. People here are quite nosy."

What does he mean by that? Another drama? He nudged me a little as I was standing still thinking. He stepped in front of me and rang the door bell. A pretty young woman opened the door.

"Welcome back Mr. Hill." She said with a pleasant smile.

"What will it be for you today, sight or senses?" she asked him.

"Senses for two, Tiana" Keith replied. Sight? Sense? I had no idea what they were saying. Keith was led by the woman to the left side of the building and I just followed. She pointed us to a waiting area. Keith grabbed a wine for me and a whiskey for himself and sat at the waiting area.

"Would you at least tell me what is going on now? Sense? Sight? I can see it is a restaurant but where is the food and table?" I grew impatient.

"This is a restaurant run by my friend. It's a new experience everyone should try. I really hope you enjoy it. Sight, means it is just like any regular restaurants. As for sense you will be blind folded and you will have to use your other senses to indulge your food. The food is usually the chef's choice. He makes sure to hit all your taste buds. Trust me on this one darling." He gave me a thorough explanation.

Very interesting, I never knew Keith had a fun side in him. This was exciting. He never called me darling either. This man is really quirky today. Tiana came back in 10 minutes with funny looking glasses on. I drained my wine and placed the empty glass on the table. We then, followed Tiana into the dark room, now I am assuming the glasses were night vision glasses. The room was so dark. Although, I tried my level best to find light but nothing could be seen. I could hear cutleries and people whispering but I couldn't make out anything they were saying. I felt someone or something walking pass me or maybe I passed it. I had no idea.

I was glad when Tiana announced that we were finally at our place. I could tell Keith was seated to my right as I felt and heard him breathing next to me. Then Tiana presented the food to us. She guided and explained the one by one. She also guided us to our food placement in order for us to be able to pick the food up and eat. We were assisted to wash our hands before we started using our fingers.

The first thing I touched was mushy but held its shape till I put it in my mouth, it was cold and sweet. I think it was a rice flour ball with red bean paste. Then Tiana helped me with the soup. The soup was warm and spicy. Wasabi! It was burning my tongue. In the speed of looking for water I am sure I knocked something over. It must have fallen on Keith. I heard him curse for the first time and the chair moved. I said sorry. Then Tiana helped us reset. Then she told me to take things slowly.

That was one hell of an experience. The food was scrumptious. Sweet tasted sweeter and spicy tasted spicier. Just like Keith said the chef did surely hit all my taste buds. For the first time I realized every food had its own sound and I could differentiate them when chewing them. Between every type of food I washed my pallet with a Japanese drink that was served. Tiana said it was alcohol. It tasted funny but it did the trick well. However, only when I stood up I realize it was a very strong alcohol. I was tipsy.

As we left the dark room, there was a huge poster of the chef with her husband. They both were blind. The caption read;

'If you truly enjoyed your dinner;

show us by donating and sharing'

~Giana & Toby~

Keith took out his cheque book and tore a leaf and gave it to our waitress. He also tipped her with a huge sum. She lit up like a Christmas tree. Instead of getting walking back to the car, Keith took me up to the roof top. Tiana handed him two glasses and a bottle of chardonnay and left us there alone. Keith popped the bottle open and filled the glasses to the rim before handing one to me. The view from the top of the lake house was spectacular. The reflection of the lights from the house, on the moving water made me lighter. The breeze carried a light scent of fresh pine. It started to get a little chilly. I sipped my drink and looked further into the horizon the stars were brighter today, just like when it was on the first day I met him. My heart sank, I felt like I was going to fall.

Keith stepped closer behind me and touched my arms. That gave me goose bumps. He quickly removed his coat and put it on my shoulder. That was surely better but I was getting a little light headed with all the drinks I've been enjoying. I let myself lean back on Keith. He held me perfectly.

"Ica" Keith said in a whisper.

"hmm"

"I will have to tell you this sooner or later. You are the best thing that has happened in my life lately." He said. I didn't reply to that as I wasn't sure where he was heading with this.

"What I am trying to say is... I don't what to see you sad anymore. I don't want to lose you either." He continued.

"Why do you think you are going to lose me?" I asked.

"I don't know but I just feel you have been drifting away from me and Amy lately."

"I am sorry."

"No, don't apologize, Ica. I know you have been going through bad times but I just want you to know I am here." Keith turned me around pulled me closer and hugged me. I hugged him back.

"Thank you, Keith."

"No, thank you, Ica." He took a step back and kissed me on my forehead.

Today I dare say that, even if had a brother I doubt it he will love me as much as Keith loves me. I am the luckiest woman on earth to have him in my life at the age of 33. He takes care of me as if I am a little girl. I have been stupid all these while, true love was right before my eyes. Love was more then something lovers shared. It is about understanding that someone appreciates you in their live and returning the favor. I have not been doing my part well in this case.

**********