Part 10 : The Unexpected

I left a message to Ian. I also skipped breakfast and started packing. I couldn't wait to get off the ship. As soon as the announcement was made, I dashed out of my room and made a bee line to the counter. While I was waiting in the line, Amy and June walked towards me with a very sheepish smile. They said sorry. I just said it is ok and I will get in touch with Amy soon.

Walking on to the pier, I fumbled for my phone and switched it on. I sent a pre-typed email to Julia. I wanted details of my mother's side and I wanted them fast. Julia knows the best person to contact.

"Ica! Wait up." I knew it was Ian but I didn't want to see him. I got in my car and pulled out of the parking as fast as I could. I looked up at the rear view mirror and saw Ian toss his bag in to his car and slammed the door. He must be angry.

Suddenly a truck turned into my junction, I floored the breaks but the car didn't even slow down. I turned the steering wheel to the left and pulled the hand breaks. All hell broke loose, the car was spinning out of control. There was nothing I could do. I think I closed my eyes and screamed at the top of my lungs. Then I was stationary. When I opened my eyes I realize that I've slammed into the bushes. The car alarm was blasting away. There was smoke everywhere. I could taste chalk in my mouth but I couldn't move.

"Give way please... let us through."

"Miss, can you hear me? What is your name?"

"Miss Ica, you have been in a minor accident. We are going to bring you to the nearest hospital, just for a thorough check up." a voice told me. Everything seemed blurry. I could still feel the smoke in my eyes. I knew I was being transferred by an ambulance.

"I would like to ride with her." Another voice said.

"Sure sir." and the door were shut.

***********

The smell of fresh cut daisies and lavender woke me up from my sleep. There was a blue curtain all around me. Someone was standing behind the curtain. I think he was talking to the doctor.

"Nothing to worry, we have done a few scans and there doesn't seem to be any problems. She can be discharged in a few hours. Just make sure to come back soon is any vomiting or nausea persists for more than a day." I assumed that was the doctor.

"You have my word, doctor." It was Keith. He walked in with a smile. My first word was sorry. He kissed me on the forehead and said

"I am glad nothing big happened, Ica."

"I was trying..."

"Stop and just try to relax, I already know what happened." Keith interrupted. This time I listened to his instruction and closed my eyes. In less than two hours, I was in Keith's care on my way home. The phone was ringing but I was not sure where it was. Keith pulled over and took my bag from the back seat. He took my phone out for me as I had a bandage on my right hand.

"It is Ian. Do you want me to answer it?" Keith asked but the phone stopped ringing. I took the phone with my left hand and saw there were 38 missed calls. Three from Julia and the rest were from Ian. I assigned a silent ringtone for his number and the phone started ringing again. This time it was Julia. I answered her call.

"Ms. Ica, are you ok? I heard about the accident." Julia was desperate for my reply.

"Yes Juls, I am on my way back now. Will you drop by later after work?" I wanted to know if she found out anything about Ian before he turns up in front of me.

"Surely, see you around 8 p.m." Julia said and she also offered to stay over before she hung up. Keith looked at me through the rare view mirror. I was not sure what he knew about Ian's matter.