Part 11 : Reveal

24 hours became 5 days. Julia dropped me at the church, I know this is the worst place I could pick to reveal the reason to why I have been avoiding Ian but I ought to do it today than drag it on. Ian stopped trying to call me after the day I pleaded him to leave me. He must be heartbroken and disappointed with me. I still have to tell him why so he can move on. It is the fair thing to do.

I kept looking for Ian the whole day but there was no sign of him. Well, at least I made Uncle Stevie and a bunch of people I hardly know happy with my presences. I shouldn't have lost contact with them in the first place. That way I could have known who my cousins are. It was entirely my mistake.

My efforts and strategies of exposing the truth to Ian were left in vain. I shall try to call him before I leave the church. I sat on the bench under a huge shady willow tree. Took my phone from my clutch and dialed his number. The phone rang twice and he picked it up.

"Hello, Ian."

"Ica, I knew you would call me some day." He said. He has been waiting for me. I am such a cruel person.

"Can we meet? We need to talk." I went straight to the point.

"Yes anywhere, anytime, just say it and I will be there." he sounded enthusiastic. If only he knew I was going break his heart into finer shards.

"I am at the St. Anne's church now." I told.

"See you there in 10 minutes" he said and hung up. That's done, I need to pull myself together and present what I have been preparing for days now. I kept telling myself, this is just like all my other presentations. Stay calm, stay focus and by the time I know it'll be done.

I saw Ian parking his truck. He got down, scanned and spotted me under the tree. He started walking towards me, he was wearing a black jeans and a brown long sleeved V necked, knitted top. He looked so invitingly warm I wish I could hug him then and there. As he was coming nearer he pushed his sleeves up to his elbows and revealed his big and slightly hairy arms. They looked so strong and manly. Stop it Ica! I warned myself.

Although my hearts full desire was to stand up and hug him that very moment, I clutched the bench and made sure I remained in my seat. He was here, right in front of me.

"Hey." He tried to break the ice.

"Hi, Ian how have you been?" I replied.

"Surviving, and you?" he asked. I wanted to say miserable without you. But I just nodded and gave him a smile.

"Ian, I am very sorry I couldn't get back to you in 24 hours as I promised." I know I sounded formal but that was the best I could do.

"Ica... I know you must have a good reason for that. You will not hurt me on purpose." He had such high regards for me and I am about to break him.

"I do. First I need you to answer a few questions." I managed to look at his face and he nodded. It was clear he has been restless. He has not trimmed his beard and he had eye bags. Poor baby, I slapped myself to reality.

"Does your mother have a sister?" I asked. He was taken aback by the question.

"Yes, I think she does but we hardly speak of her. Why?" he asked me.

"Have you met her?" I added another question.

"I think so but that must have been when I was a child. What is this all about Ica? Why are you asking questions about my long lost aunt, who never bothered to keep in touch?" he was growing impatient.

"Ian she is not alive to keep in touch anymore." I argued trying to backup my mother.

"What? How do you know that?" Ian looked like a lost child.