Part 32

Jimmy's POV

"Kate?" I said after the ring. As soon as I arrived at the airport, I was having second thoughts.

"Hey, Jimmy. I'll send you Kevin's phone number. He's out with his friends." Kate replied.

"Okay. Uhm, is he expecting me today?" I asked.

"Yeah, I reminded him that you're arriving today." She said, I heard couching at the background. Guess she was sick.

"Oh, okay. Thanks." I said and ended the brief phone call.

As soon as I received the number, I texted Kevin right away.

Hey, Bud, it's Jimmy, where should we meet up later?

Then I pressed send. A few minutes later, I received a text from Kevin.

Where are you right now?

It was a weird thing to ask I guess but I replied anyway.

This bar called Boar Pot.

He texted back right away.

Be right there.

I waited for him to arrive as I order Fish & Chips and my second bottle of beer.

Half an hour later, a tall guy entered. He was wearing a cap backwards, baggy jeans, plaid shirt and washed Vans. I guess this is him. I stood up to greet him.

"Kevin." I said.

"Yo." He handed his hand for me to shake it.

And so I did. "Do you want something?"

"Yeah, a beer." He said right away.

I was confused for a moment and then it came to me that he was a minor.

"You can't have beer. You're only 17." I said, putting strictness on the table.

"I have tasted beer before. Either you buy me one or I'll go." He said, threatening me.

I took a moment to think. I don't want to be a bad father or anything but I don't want to jeopardize my chance of making it all right with my son.

"Here, have this, I only took a sip." I said, pushing my beer bottle in front of him. "Just act cool."

"Calm down, I don't look 17 right? I'll pass for a 21 year old." He said and chugged the beer like a pro.

I admit, he doesn't look 17, he looked like he was at least 23. But it didn't bother me.

"So, uh, how are you?" I asked. Jeez. What the hell, Jim?

"I'm good. I'm in my junior year in high school, I have a hot girlfriend, great friends. Honestly, I thought you were dead because that's what mom said, and when she told me that my father's the host of the most popular show on TV, I jolted right out of my seat for a second." He said. "I also admit that I'm a bit star struck."

I suddenly felt uncomfortable. I honestly don't know what I'm feeling. I'm excited to see him yet I feel very distant. "Oh, heh, uhm, so did your mom tell you that I have a wife?"

"Duh, she didn't need to tell me. Uh, we have a television set." He mocked me.

"Right." I slightly felt embarrassed. I glanced at my watch an it was already 9 pm. "I should get you home."

"It's still early. But okay, yeah, whatever." He got off the booth and walked without even waiting for me. I left a couple of hundreds for the waitress to get. "Thanks."

I ran towards him and caught up. "Aren't we gonna get a cab or something?" I asked, I was running out of breath.

"Oh, right." He stopped and whistled for a cab.

~

As soon as I stepped off the cab, I saw an old withered house in front of me, I don't remember it as being Kate's house but I guess things have changed.

"Come on." Kevin said.

I followed him towards the front steps of the house, it was dark and dirty outside. He knocked on the door. "Mom, we're here."

"Just a minute." Kate shouted out.

When she opened the house, I immediately saw how messy it was, boxes of Chinese food lying on the couch, beer bottles across the room and the smell is really bad.

"Had a great time?" Kate asked.

I didn't answer her right away. I examined her. She is nothing like the Kate I was about to marry, 17 years ago. She looked too old for her age but she still looks great. Clothes dirty, tangled hairs and big dark circles below her eyes.

"Uh, yeah." I said.

"Do you want something to eat? Come on sit down." She said.

"No, no, thanks, I'm really tired. I'll just eat at the hotel." I said, I really didn't want to stay.

"Okay. Are you sure?" She asked again.

"Yeah." Then I turned to Kevin. "I'll see you soon, Pal. Here take this--" I handed him a check for his needs and everything since I wasn't there for him for 17 years. "--Take care of yourself." I said and tapped his shoulders.

I hailed for a cab and took another look at where my son was living. I can't stop thinking about bringing him with me to New York where he could have great education and I could watch over him there but I know it was impossible, I know Kate will never agree to that.

I got to my hotel and slammed on the bed. A few minutes of rest and I called Mary. "Honey..."

"How was the first encounter?" She asked me.

"He asked for a beer." I said right away.

"What?" Her voice got higher. "And did you give him one?"

"Yeah. But it's either that or he threatened to go." I explained it to Mary.

"Jimmy, He's 17." She said, reminding me.

"I know. It's just one beer and we really hit it you know. He wasn't hesitant or anything." I said, trying to calm her down.

"Fine, he's your son anyway. So...you coming home tomorrow?" She asked.

"Yeah. I'm coming home baby." I said in my deepest voice.

"I'll be waiting." She said.

She's teasing. Damn it what a turn on.

"Uh, Mary, stop it. Okay? I love you, good night." I said and turned off my phone. I just miss her so much and I can't wait for this day to be over.

I took a quick shower before getting into bed, I heard my phone beep. Maybe it was Mary.

Kevin

Hey, Dad. Thanks for today. I'm happy that I got to meet you after 17 years. See you soon.

It wasn't that sweet of a message but it got me emotional, I felt a tear escape my eye. Maybe it was because he was my son and that I haven't been with him for 17 years. I didn't see him grow up, I don't know what his first word is. I hope I could've been there, If only I knew, I could've been there for my son.

~

Quick update!
Hope everyone is doing fine!!!!

I'm not so great right now. NBC's really shutting down Hannibal and the last episode is on the 29th, it really sucks because Hannibal is the most beautiful TV show right now. It's so artistic and mysterious, not so straight forward which I like and also because I'm obsessed with the Hannibal Lecter movies before. And I've read the books by Thomas Harris. It just pains me that my favorite TV network is really closing its doors to my favorite show on tv right now. 😪