Chapter XXVII

Julian released a loud sigh as he entered his home. He dropped his briefcase by the front door and began to undo his tie. Once he'd gotten it off, he tossed it onto the couch a few feet away. Since he'd worked a few hours passed his usual six p.m. quitting time, all he wanted to do at that point was eat and go to sleep.

He was emotionally drained from yet another long day of offering support and advice to a number of people ranging from children who had been touched inappropriately to adults who were contemplating suicide. Though he would never admit it to anyone else, he hated his job. While he loved helping people through their struggles and knew that he could never quit because of that fact, he hated seeing people in so much pain. It always affected his mood negatively.

"Baby," he called, knowing that seeing Lynise's face would lift his spirits instantly. He followed the smell of fried pork chops into the kitchen, where Lynise was standing in front of the stove in nothing but her underwear. He approached her from behind and kissed her on the neck as he hugged her waist. "That smells great."

Lynise smiled and turned around, placing her arms around Julian's neck. "How was work, baby?"

"Terrible, but I don't like to complain." He walked over to the sink and washed his hands. "Can I help you with anything?"

"No. I'm almost done. Sit down and relax."

Julian grabbed a cup from the dish drainer and walked over to the fridge. He opened it and began to search for a can of soda. Before he could locate one, something else caught his eye.

Closing the refrigerator slowly, Julian turned around and looked at his fiancée. "Lynise, where's Tremaine?"

"Huh?" Lynise asked, although she wasn't sure why she wasn't prepared to answer that question. "Where did that just come from?"

He opened the fridge again and pulled out the carton of orange juice next to the gallon of it. Lynise always bought orange juice by the gallon to ensure that there was enough for everyone. Julian only knew one person that always had to have their own supply.

He held the carton up for her to see. "Tremaine. Where is he?"

"Ummm... he's with the twins."

"He's with the twins where?"

She looked over at him and bit her bottom lip, her eyes begging him not to be upset with her. "In the spare bedroom."

"Tremaine's in our spare bedroom and you're walking around half-naked? I'm glad you think that's appropriate." Shaking his head, Julian began to exit the kitchen.

Lynise grabbed his arm. "Baby, he wanted to see Jay and Rae. He's not paying any attention to me."

"Really, Lynise? You don't think he's looking at you every time he walks by the kitchen? You don't think he's thinking about touching you every time he comes in here?"

"But he's not touching-"

"Lynise... stop."

Julian stepped away from her and exhaled loudly. He could deal with her talking to Tremaine on the phone at night when she thought he was asleep. He could deal with her being at Tremaine's house in Miami. What he couldn't deal with was Tremaine being alone in his home with his half-naked fiancée. He couldn't deal with seeing the signs of Lynise cheating on him up close and personal. He was starting to become more upset with Lynise than he had ever been, and he didn't want to know how he'd react if he let her take him there.

Taking a seat at the table, Julian closed his eyes for a brief moment. "Eight days. We're getting married in eight days, Lynise. I cannot get in front of my family and God and vow to trust you if you-"