Chapter IX

Tamia sat on her bed silently, smiling as she observed the father-daughter bonding taking place in front of her. Between the blue sundress from Dolce & Gabbana that Tania was wearing- which matched December's slim-fit shirt of the same color and designer- and the sound of their voices blending as they sang Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, Tamia didn't know what was cuter. She pulled her cell phone out of her pocket and tapped the record button on the home screen before training the camera on them.

For over thirty minutes, she recorded them doing various activities. She found endless pleasure in seeing the two people she loved more than anyone else so happy. When he was with Tania, December was a completely different person. He was sweet and patient, and the adoration in his usually emotionless eyes was unmistakable. It was obvious to everyone that Tania was his Achilles heel, and she was definitely a daddy's girl. She knew that whatever request of hers Tamia denied, December would grant without hesitation. He didn't allow Tamia to put her hands on his daughter, and he'd be on her case within seconds if she even thought about raising her voice at her. December didn't condone anyone trying to discipline his only child, and he didn't entertain any of Tamia's warnings about him spoiling her too much.

"Daddy," Tania sang in her soft voice, "I'm hungry."

December stood up and lifted her onto his shoulders. "Let's go eat, then." He looked over at Tamia. "Baby, come with us."

Tamia pocketed her phone and followed them out of the room and downstairs into the kitchen. December sat at the table with Tania on his lap. After asking them what they were hungry for, Tamia pulled out the necessary items needed to make grilled cheese. As she was preparing to make the sandwiches, she heard the front door open and close. Val entered the kitchen seconds later. She handed a large stack of money to December as she greeted him and Tania. She offered Tamia a friendly wave, to which she received the middle finger in return. She laughed and sat down at the table.

"Aren't you missing someone?" December asked, taking several fifty dollar bills out of the stack and placing them into the small pocket of Tania's dress. He stuffed the rest of the money into his own pocket.

"Nina's gonna be gone for a few more hours. And I'm done for the day. Caramel should be back soon. Her and Alexis, so I won't have to leave again."

"Good." He leaned over and whispered into Val's ear. "Mia is supposed to be going shopping soon. I need to see you when she leaves."

"And will this meeting be about business?"

December smiled. "Do you and I normally discuss business without clothes on?" With a wink, he raised his voice. "Tamia, make Val a sandwich too."

Tamia rolled her eyes, but began to carry out his order anyway. Right before she could turn on the stove, the doorbell rang. She used that as her reason to not be in the same room as Val. "I'll get it," she said.

Tania reached for Tamia, who picked her up and carried her to the front door. Tamia pulled the door open, and froze when she saw the young white woman and two black police officers on the other side of it. The lady smiled at Tania, and then at Tamia. She cleared her throat before speaking.

"Are you Tamia Carter?" she asked.

Tamia opened her mouth to reply, but no words came out for several seconds. When she finally found her voice, she replied, "That depends on who's asking."

"Baby, who's at the door?" December and Val walked out of the kitchen and stood behind Tamia.

The smile on the woman's face disappeared instantly as she looked up at December. "I'm Sabrina Coleman from the Florida Department of Children and Families."