Prologue

Jenay Carter trembled as she approached Anthony, the corner boy nearest her apartment complex. The streets were crowded, which wasn't unusual for a Miami night, but it seemed as though the whole city had chosen her block to celebrate that July fourth on. She wished everyone would go home. The sound of the fireworks made her jump every time they went off, and she wasn't interested in seeing the pretty sparkles in the sky; the only color she wanted to see was white. In hopes of getting back to her apartment faster, she quickened her pace.

Anthony finished doing business with another addict, and then looked at Jenay. "No," he stated without giving her a chance to say anything. "I'm not giving you nothin', so don't ask."

"Come on, Anthony," Jenay begged, sounding much younger than her thirty-three years of age. "Don't act like that. I really need it." She held her forty dollars out towards him desperately.

Anthony shook his head. "I can't do that, Jenay. How about you take your money and get your daughter a burger or something? Tamia's skinnier than you and she ain't even on drugs." He pointed to where the thirteen-year-old was standing with a group of girls and smiled. He wasn't too fond of Jenay, but Tamia was like a little sister to him. Unlike the other girls in the hood, she had a rare characteristic- innocence- and he did all he could to protect her from the streets.

"She'll be fine," Jenay stated dismissively.

Anthony continued to resist, and Jenay continued to beg. After a few moments, they grabbed the attention of Anthony's boss, December, an up-and-coming drug lord, who was also the biggest pimp in Miami. He strolled over to them casually, his confident swagger demanding respect as he walked. "Anthony, we got a problem, young?"

"December, hook me up," Jenay said before Anthony could reply.

Just as they finished making the exchange, Tamia left her group of friends and strolled over to them. "Mom, can I have a few dollars to go to the store with Caramel?"

Jenay balled her fist up around the blow in her hand so that her daughter wouldn't see it as she tried to decide if she'd rather have the joy of making her child happy or the joy the drug would bring. She decided on the latter. "I don't have it, baby," she stated.

Anthony shook his head in disgust and pulled a twenty-dollar bill out of his pocket. "Here you go, Mia."

The disappointed look on her face instantly disappeared. She squeezed Anthony tightly. "Thanks, Anthony."

"Anytime, baby girl. You know that you can come to me if you ever need anything." He smiled as Tamia ran back to her friends, then started leading them towards the nearest convenience store.

December, who had been observing the scene quietly, sneered to himself as an idea popped into his head. He had never seen Tamia before, but he'd heard Anthony speak of her on more than one occasion. Never did Anthony mention, however, the natural beauty the young girl possessed. Her cute baby-face made her look just like her mother had before she started using drugs. Though Tamia's body was underdeveloped due to malnutrition, he knew that she would be much more than a dime piece by the time that she was sixteen. Not living with Jenay, though. All of her money went toward cocaine, and December knew that she wouldn't be willing to cut back enough to at least allow her child to eat properly. That's why he decided that Tamia would move into his home that night, and he knew just how to make that happen.

"Anthony, go see how the boys are doing over on fifty-fourth for me," he ordered. He needed Anthony gone in order for him to put his plan in motion. He turned towards Jenay once Anthony was out of earshot. "Jenay," he began, "how old is your shorty?"