Chapter XVIII

"I don't get it," December stated, crossing his arms over his chest as he leaned back into his chair. He eyed the four men on the other side of the room curiously. Billz, T-Murder, Hokey Pokey, and Texas were some of his top sellers, and they got paid well for their services. He didn't want to take them out of the traps and give them a better position because they were so good at their jobs, but he was starting to think that not promoting them was a mistake. "All of you are eating, especially you, Texas. I make sure y'all are full. No one's going to take care of y'all like I do. What's the problem?"

Texas looked at each of his boys individually to see if any of them were going to speak. When he saw that none of them planned to, he spoke up. "You're right. We are eating, but we feel like we've outgrown the corner."

"So, what? Y'all wanna move up?"

"We wanna move out."

December raised an eyebrow. "You're done slinging?" Texas nodded, and December shook his head. "I don't believe that, man. You come from a long line of hustlers, Texas. Your granddaddy used to smuggle cows and shit from farm to farm. This is in your blood. You can't just walk away from it."

"I've been doing this since I was twelve. I need to move on. And it's not like I'm making the type of money you're making."

"I'm not making no type of money from selling drugs. My bread comes from my bitches. You know that. The drug money is just a little piece of change on the side." December stood up. "But... fuck it. I'm not about to beg no grown-ass men to keep slinging for me. If you ever want to come back, though, you're more than welcome to. Can I give y'all something as a parting gift? At a discounted price, of course. Four... maybe five hundred depending on the quality."

T-Murder smiled. "Hook us up," he said, speaking up for the first time.

"Who do y'all want?"

"I want Valerie's thick ass."

"Give me Caramel," Texas stated.

"Hokey Pokey?"

"I'm good. My girl would kill me."

December laughed and shifted his focus to Billz. "What about you, my man?"

"I want that Spanish hoe. Nina. A nigga been trying to fuck her uppity ass for months," Billz replied.

December walked over to the staircase. "Nina, Val, and Caramel," he yelled, "come downstairs!"

Less than a minute later, the women entered the living room. "Yes, Daddy?" Caramel said, looking at the four men behind December. She studied their faces for a moment, and then shook her head in the negative. "I worked every day this week. We're supposed to get a day off. This is my day."

With a slight nod of his head, December turned towards Billz and his friends. "Excuse me, fellas." He took a single step forward and struck Caramel across the face, causing her to turn one hundred and eighty degrees to her right before hitting the floor.

"I don't recall asking you all that, bitch." December turned to the other women. "Val, Nina... do either of you feel like it's your day off too?"

Both Nina and Val stepped back. "Hell nah. We're good," they answered simultaneously.

"Thought so. Get this dumbass up off the floor. Nina, you're going with Billz. Val, you're going with Texas. Caramel, you're going with Murder, and I want one hundred percent of what you make since it's your day off. You don't make money on your days off."

"Gorilla pimp-ass nigga," Billz joked as December ascended his staircase. He watched as Nina and Val helped Caramel off of the floor. "Keeping these hoes in line since nineteen-eighty-six." He looked at Caramel. "Your eye is a lil black but you still fine, ma. Nina, follow me."