Chapter 13

"For the last time Krayna, the answer is /no/!" Zephira said, glaring at the other witch.

"Ugh!" She cried, throwing her hands up. "Why not?!"

"Shh!" Zephira scolded. They were on first watch, and she didn't want to wake the others up."Because I won't put them through all that!"

"Put them through /what/?"

"You know what will happen if we go! What the others will do!" She leaned in closer. "I. Will. Not. Put. Them. Through. That."

"Why not?" She smirked a bit. "Why, Zephira! You aren't starting to /care/ for them, are you?" Her smirk faltered when Zephira didn't answer. "Zephira? Oh, Emer, tell me you don't think you actually /like/ Thorin!"

"I do not!" She snapped.

Krayna stared at her intently. "I really hope you don't."

"I /don't/."

"Great, then we leave at first light."

"Krayna-"

"What?" She asked, her eyes daring Zephira to try and talk her out of it.

Zephira clenched her jaw. "Nothing."

Krayna smiled. "Good." She stretched her arms above her head. "Mmm, which one do you think Lucretia will-?"

"Don't." Zephira snapped, cutting her off. "I may not care about them, but I don't want to think about her claiming one either. They are good dwarves, they don't deserve that." Krayna opened her mouth to say something, but Zephira cut her off again. "And that's not caring. That's being fair."

Krayna pursed her lips, but didn't say anything for a long time. "You know you can't control which one she picks-"

"Yes, I know."

"So if there's one you /do/ want to-"

"There isn't."

"/I'm just saying/, you'd better before she gets a hold of them." She sighed. "Once Lucretia sees something she wants, she doesn't stop until she gets it."

"I know. Believe me, I know." She paused. "Do we /really/ have to-?"

"/Zephira/, we are going, and that is final."

"But they won't even now what they're walking into, they don't know our customs, and we can't /tell/ them!"

Krayna bit her lip, and Zephira felt a pang in her chest. Krayna had always bitten her lip, or chewed it, since as long as she'd known her, when she wanted to say something she shouldn't. That's why her lips were so red and full.

She suddenly pulled her friend into a hug, and Krayna seemed surprised. "Uh, Zephira?"

"Thank you."

"For... What?"

"For looking for me."

"No... No problem? I... Um, Zephira, really, you would have done the same-"

"Yeah, yeah, but still." She pulled back. "There are some who wouldn't have."

Krayna sighed. "I know. And," she closed her eyes, bit her lip again, "there are some who wished me not to come."

"What? Who?!"

She chewed her lip, looking agitated. "I... It's really not my place to say, Zephira. I don't want you to think anything less of the ones who-"

"Think less of them? Think /less/ of them?!" Her eyes flashed, and her accent became stronger.

"Zephira-?"

"They left me for /dead/, and you don't want there to be any bad /feelings?!"

"Zephira, just /calm down/-"

"I will /not/ calm down!" She yelled, and several dwarves jolted awake.

"Was' hap'in?" Kili asked, still half asleep.

Zephira closed her eyes, and when she opened them, she was normal again. "Nothing,"

"Obviously something." Fili said, more awake then his brother, but still fighting to keep his eyes open.

"Actually, yes." Krayna said, standing up. "We need to leave now. There's somewhere we need to get to."

"Where?" Thorin asked cautiously.

Krayna looked up, then back down. "Somewhere important."

"Yes, but /where/?"

"You don't need to know."

"Yes, I think I do! I'm not leading the others into some-"

"Thorin," Zephira said. "Look at me. Would I lead you somewhere dangerous?" She asked softly, looking up at him innocently.

He looked at her for a long minute. "Alright," he said finally. "Alright."

He turned and went to go wake everyone up.

Zephira turned back to Krayna, hurt obvious in her eyes. "I hope you're happy." She said. "I just betrayed them all."

Gandalf watched this all, and looked unhappily towards the two plotting witches.

~~~

Is this considered a cliffhanger? Anyways, sorry if I'm confusing you, but it'll all become clear in the next few chapters. I swear, there's a method to my madness!

Also I'm sorry if my writing becomes inconsistent, cuz I am writing 2 hobbit Fanfics right now, and I've got a lot of stuff going on in regards to sports and schoolwork... But remember, no long it takes me to write a chapter, I /will/ write it and I'll be thinking of all my lovely readers te whole time <3

Sorry for being a bit creepy there, still vote and comment tho xxx

Added in Gandalf, because I'm an idiot and forgot to add him in originally.