Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Thorin woke up with an almost immediate groan.

Oh, his /head/! It feels like Oin just bashed it in with his staff...

... Oh, damn. He was hungover, wasn't he?

He could barely remember anything from the night before. He sat up and rubbed his eyes with his palms groggily.

He remembered dancing, drinking... More drinking, and some more drinking... Mahal above, how much had he drank?!

And he remembered Zephira... Something with Zephira-

"Thorin? You awake already?"

He froze, his one hand still covering an eye.

"Ugh," a groan from beside him. "Remind me to never drink straight from a bottle again, that was really a /horrid/ choice on my part-" Zephira cut herself off, half sitting up. "You alright? You look as though you've just seen a hoard of Orcs!"

"You... You're in bed with me?"

"Mm... Yeah?" She said obviously.

"We... Ah, shared a bed?"

"Mäläi," She laughed. "How much did you drink? Of course we did!"

"What... Um," he closed his eyes. "What exactly did we /do/ last night?"

She raised an eyebrow. "Do you really not remember?"

"No!" He looked worried. "We didn't... We didn't /do/ anything, did we?"

Her face fell for a split second; so fast Thorin wasn't sure if it really did or not. "No," she said quietly. "Of course not."

He sighed with relief. "Thank Mahal." He froze. "/Are you wearing my shirt/?!"

"I suppose there are a few things I should explain."

Fili woke up with a yawn. He stretched his arms above his head, then out to the sides. He felt along the bed, fingers searching for Kili.

He frowned when he found no warm body beside him, his eyes still closed. He rolled to his side and opened his eyes... Sure enough, he was alone.

His face fell, then suddenly all the events from the night before came flooding back.

"No," he said to himself. "No, no, /no/!"

He swore and looked around.

/This was not his tent./

He swore again, and sat up, which gave him the worst head rush he'd ever had. He gripped his head in his hands and moaned as he waited for it to pass.

When it finally did, he got up slowly and stretched.

Only then did he realized he was naked.

He dropped his hands down automatically to cover himself, then remembered he was alone.

He looked around the room, quickly finding his clothes from the night before and dressing.

He had no idea what his hair looked like, but he supposed he would have to make do with it now.

He sighed heavily, and closed his eyes.

/What was he going to do?/

Kili awoke in a similar manner, only he could not remember what he had done last night.

All he managed to remember was walking away with... With some /witch/ and leaving him alone.

/Only not alone/...