Bonus Chapter 2

Zephira stood in a field of bodies, covered in blood and gore; unfortunately not all of it was from her enemies.

Her face was blank. Stoney. Emotionless.

The only thing betraying her feelings was the tears falling from her eyes.

Her knuckles were white as she gripped her sword. Blood dripped off the tip slowly.

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

She stood there for a long time.

At some point, she realized that the blood dripping down her weapon was mostly her own. She glanced down, barely shifting her eyes, and notice the large cut on her right forearm.

Blood was trailing down it in ribbons. She sighed and looked away, but did nothing to clean it or stop the flow if blood.

Let it fall, she thought. Let it mingle with all the other blood on me, on the ground.

"Zephira?"

Who was that?

"Zephira? Is that you?"

Oh. It was her friends. They were looking for her. That was good, she supposed. It meant they had survived.

The first one to get to her was Nex. As soon as she touched her, Zephira collapsed backwards into her arms.

Nex gave a startled cry, and lowered her to the ground. "Zephira? What happened? Are you...?" Her eyes flickered all over her. "Where are you hurt?"

"Everywhere," she said with a joyless laugh. "I... Let my guard down for a mo'."

Someone sank to the ground next to them. "Oh," she swore, then snapped, "What the hell happened to you?"

"Ah, Nyx. Hello."

"Don't be funny. You're hurt. Where?"

"Everywhere," Nex and Zephira said the same time.

"Alright, then where aren't you hurt?"

"Um... My lower right calf seems to be functioning."

She swore again.

"Watch your mouth, sister. I'm too young to be hearing that." Nox said as she ran up. She saw Zephira and froze. "Oh. Oh, Emer." She seemed to pale.

"Help her, Nox! She's bleeding out!"

"I-I don't know if she'd survive it."

"Well she won't survive if we heal her normally."

"It'll hurt like hell."

"I know." Zephira said. "Question is, how long?"

Nox thought for a few seconds. "About 80 minutes of unbearable agony."

"Lovely. Lets go, come on. Get started."

"Are you sure?"

"No. Just do it before I think into it too much."

"Alright", she knelt down. "Ready?"

"I supp-"

Nox thrust her hands out over her, and said something quickly.

Zephira jerked once, twice, three times... Then it turned into convulsing.

But she didn't scream.

Nyx and Nex each grasped one of her hands.

Krayna and Kellain appeared at their sides.

Kellain took one look at her dying friend and paled, then turned away to vomit.