Chapter 29

Quick warming: there is basically no timeline in this chapter. None whatsoever. Oops.

I'm also going by the book AND movie here, so things may seem slightly messed up, because they are messed up.

Anyways.

~~~~

Nox was running like hell itself was chasing her.

She was terrified, lost in Mirkwood and in its poisonous air.

She had been seeing and hearing things since she got there, and now she wanted to /get out./

Then, there was no ground beneath her feet.

She slammed into something very solid and went tumbling to the ground with a scream.

She hit the ground hard on her back, the wind knocked out of her.

The world was spinning, and when it finally focused, she saw she had run off the edge of a small ledge that led to some sort of path below.

/What did I land on...?/

Nox's eyes widened and she sat up slowly, looking around.

She saw a large shape rising to it's feet, covered in scars and fur and something- /two/ something's- sharp coming out of it's back.

She screamed, and Dwalin whirled around.

"What the hell?!" He exclaimed.

She kept screaming; she didn't see a burly dwarf, she saw a monster whose face was contorted into grisly shapes.

Dwalin frowned when she kept screaming. "Dammit, be quiet!" He hissed. Realization came over him. "Are- Nox?"

"How do you know my name?" She shrieked.

"Right then. THORIN! ZEPHIRA?"

Nox didn't hear him call for her friend, she heard a monsters growl.

She started screaming again, and tried to get up, but fell when her head swam and vision blurred.

As it cleared, she saw black hair and a pale face over her. "Nox! Nox, listen to me! Listen to my voice: it's not real. None of it."

Nox was breathing hard and fast.

"Nox. You need to calm down. /Now./"

Nox gasped and her breathing returned to normal, though her eyes were still blown wide open.

"Z-Zephira?"

The witch nodded.

"Oh, oh I've been looking for you all!" Nox threw her arms around around her with a laugh. "I can't believe I really found you!"

Zephira couldn't help but smile as she hugged her friend back.

That's when Nox whispered in her ear too quiet for anyone else to hear: "Things are changing."

"I know." Zephira whispered back. "Nex found us."

Nox pulled back from the hug. "Really?"

"Yes,"

"How?"

"New powers. Things are changing, as you said."

Nox licked her lips. "New powers... Can... Are old powers coming back as well?"

Zephira nodded.

"/Oh/," Nox breathed. "That makes sense now."

"What does?"