Chapter Twelve: The Blurring Lines

Alexander

“So wait, let me get this straight: you actually jumped a six meter wall, ran through a flock of chickens, passed the slums of Alexandria where strange people stared at you, and fought off some pirates with a khopesh sword?” I asked Selene incredulously. She laughed.

“I lied about the pirate part, but I did have my khopesh sword with me,” she said.

We were in the Temple of Ra in the House of Khepri and Selene had been telling me a story about when she was fifteen. She was trying to avoid getting in trouble with Amenemhet because she had replaced his kohl with hippopotamus droppings.

“Where does a girl like you get a khopesh sword?” I questioned, but I had a broad smile on his face.

“Sosigenes, of course,” she replied.

“Right…”

Selene giggled and looked at me fondly. This meeting, she was wearing her black dress again, her eyes not lined with kohl, and a snake bracelet on her right arm. Her hair was down, and her eyes sparkled.

“You forget easily, Alexander, that I am not like every other Egyptian girl. If I was, I’d be married with a child or two by now.”

I shuddered at the thought. “I can’t see you like that,” I answered honestly. “You play by your own rules…so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised you have a khopesh sword.”

“I also have a scimitar and a dagger.” She drew out the dagger she had around her waist.

“You are just lethal!” I exclaimed, and we both laughed. Our voices echoed in the temple, but no one was here so we were safe. Anubis looked down at us approvingly and protectively. I felt like he understood us. Despite the fact that this was not my god and I wasn’t sure if I believed in him, I still spoke about him with Selene, and she would ask questions about my gods as well.

“What about you?” she asked. “Do you have any weapons of choice?”

I thought hard about this one. “I’ve never really been one to fight people. I’ve always been into the politics, and sure that involves war—especially with Caesar, long live he—but I’ve never actually gotten in a fight.” I thought really quickly. “Well, that’s a lie. I had gotten into a brawl once with some boys back at home, but it ended quickly. I can’t remember who won. I think I had, but I got in so much trouble with Antony that I stayed out of any other fights. But if I were to have a weapon of choice, it would definitely be the bow and arrow.”

Selene nodded, and I realized I had been discussing weapons with a woman. By now, though, that didn’t matter. I chuckled to myself.

“What is it?” Selene asked. She had her knees up to her chest and was still looking at me mysteriously. Maybe she wasn’t trying to, but she could have very well passed for Cleopatra (despite the fact Selene was much more beautiful). She had the charm and the poise and the slight air of mystery.

“I’m just thinking about how we have become such good friends so quickly,” I replied honestly. She broke her gaze—the first time in a while.

“Yes,” she said quietly. “You are such a good…friend. You know, you actually listen to me. You understand so easily.”

“Antony taught me that the first thing you do with a person, especially in politics, is listen. You listen to their problems and then you try to help. Or you just listen to their stories and add in. That is also the best way to learn.”