Chapter Twenty-Four: Something Missing

Alexander

“Happy twentieth birthday, Alexander,” Antony said proudly, raising a goblet in a toast.

“Happy birthday,” Octavian joined.

“Jove bless you,” Aquilina smiled, raising her goblet as well. We were all having an early dinner at a famous restaurant by the Forum. It was just a small dinner; only Antony, Octavian, Aquilina, and I were here.

“It’s really no big deal,” I shrugged, but their glasses clinked anyways and they each took sips. I took a sip of my own wine and smiled, looking at my friends.

“Tonight,” Antony began, leaning in, wearing a smile on his face, “is your last night as my apprentice, Alexander.”

I bowed my head out of respect but the aspect of being my own master excited me. “It has been a privilege to work for you, Antony. I am so grateful for all you’ve done for me and for all your patience,” I stated.

“It’s been a great time,” Antony said.

“What was the funniest thing Alexander ever did under your watch?” Octavian asked, excitement brewing in his eyes.

Antony thought. “Well, one time, when he was six and I was telling him a story about Egypt, Alexander asked me if I was alive when they built the pyramids—way back about two thousand years ago.”

Aquilina laughed and I went red with embarrassment.

“What did you say?” Octavian demanded to know, leaning over the table.

Antony laughed before he answered. “I…I told him Pharaoh Djoser was my best friend!”

The table erupted in laughter and I turned even redder at my sheepish mistake of fourteen years ago.

“That’s okay,” Aquilina said, smiling. “We’ve all said pretty stupid things when we were younger. Once when I was seven and my sister was twelve, I asked her when she was going to lay a baby. She never lets me live it down.”

I chuckled a little at the story.

“Anyways, Alexander,” Antony continued, “I am giving you a house of your own“—

“And I am giving you your very own place in government,” Octavian announced proudly, interrupting Antony. “Happy birthday, my friend.”

I was excited. My own place in Roman politics! “Holy Juno! Thank you so much, Octavian!”

“It’s no problem,” he said coolly, obviously proud of himself. Aquilina, who was sitting next to me, looked down.

“I can’t offer you a house of your own or a good seat in government,” said Aquilina, “but I can give you this.” Out of a bag, she pulled out a silver medallion and handed it to me.

“Oh gods, this is amazing,” I breathed. The medallion was shiny silver with golden snakes on the edges. In the middle was the head of the Greek gorgon Medusa. It was said that her head would frighten enemies in battle or protect the wearer. I slipped the medallion onto my neck. Aquilina smiled a pleasant smile. “Thank you, Aquilina.”

“Your welcome,” she said, her cheeks turning a rosy pink.

“Look at Aquilina,” Octavian teased his cousin. “She’s blushing.”

“Stop, Octavian,” Aquilina ordered, but she was red from her neck to her hairline.

“Really, we’re all just here to have a good time,” I said.