Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Music Owns Me But Cannot Protect Me

Selene

Cleopatra asked me to dance at the palace tonight for a small dinner she was having. I didn’t ask who it was; I didn’t really care. She was almost nine months pregnant—and everyone knew who the father was. She made it no secret. Mark Antony, of course. Triumvir of Rome. That must’ve been some political conference, because I knew Cleopatra had gained something (besides a baby) about nine months ago. I didn’t care though. It wasn’t my business to know who was Pharaoh’s consort, even if he was Roman. Besides, there was another pregnancy I had to worry about.

Amen and his wife Yocheved had come over to my house for an early dinner. We had all cleaned our plates quickly and were now enjoying a nice conversation.

“So how many months along are you, Yocheved?” I inquired. Amenemhet placed his hand on Yocheved’s prominent stomach and smiled.

“I am seven months,” she said, glowing. Amen kissed her cheek.

“I am so proud of her,” he stated.

Sosigenes smiled, wrinkles lining his eyes. “I am sure you are, Amenemhet. Your wife is strong.”

“So what names were you thinking?” I asked.

Yocheved looked at Amen and then back to me. “Nefertari for a girl or Issachar for a boy.”

“Do those names mean something to you?” Sosigenes questioned. Yocheved looked down at her stomach.

“Issachar is after my father. He passed away when I was younger,” she said.

“Nefertari,” Amen began, “is for my mother.”

I bit my lip.

“Those are wonderful names,” I quietly said. Then Amen looked at me with a smirk.

“What, are you sad it’s not going to be named after you?” he sneered. I rolled my eyes but laughed.

“I’m not even going to answer that.”

“Ooh,” Yocheved winced, but she laughed. “The baby is kicking.” She took Amenemhet’s hand and placed it gently on her stomach. He laughed.

“Our child is going to grow up and be a runner,” he announced.

“Can…can I feel?” I asked timidly.

“Sure,” replied Yocheved warmly. I got up from my seat and Amenemhet placed my hand where his had been. My eyes widened. I could feel a light thumping beneath my palm.

“Holy gods,” I breathed. It was amazing to feel a small life in Yocheved’s womb. I was excited for the couple, especially Amenemhet. “Amen, you’re going to be a great father when the baby is born.” Amen looked at Yocheved and the couple smiled. They kissed again.

“I know it,” said Yocheved.

“Amenemhet, don’t look so nervous to have the baby,” Sosigenes commanded. “You’ll be fine.” It was true; Amenemhet did look nervous about being a first time father.

“It’s my first child, and I wasn’t exactly raised by my father and mother. I was raised as an apprentice. What if the baby doesn’t like me?” he fretted. Sosigenes leaned in.

“The child will love you. Without you, it wouldn’t be here. Don’t worry.”

“But what if”—

“Gods, Amen, calm down!” I exclaimed. “One would think you were the one who would have to go into labor and have the baby.”

Amenemhet glared at me but Yocheved just laughed. “You know, beloved,” she began, “it’s my first child too. All we can do is our best.”