Chapter Eighteen: My Day as an Egyptian

Alexander

I woke up the next day with excitement. Who wouldn’t be excited to spend a day as an Egyptian? Helios was barely rising, but already I was wide-awake. I didn’t want to miss a beat of today. I sat up in my bed. Antony and I were staying in the same place we stayed in last time. Slowly, to avoid lightheadedness, I stood, hunched my back, and then arched it. Ah. I stepped quietly to my bag where I brought my necessities, and I drew out my white sleeping kilt. It looked exactly like one a true Egyptian would wear. I felt proud of myself. I quickly changed into it and smiled. I was going to be Egyptian today. I let out a soft laugh as I thought about it. I would be Roman on the inside, but Egyptian out. I grabbed a piece of papyrus that I had taken with me and some ink and scrawled a note for Antony, just in case he wondered where I went.

I tied my sandals to my feet and treaded outside, where Helios was prominent on the horizon. There was a barrel of water next to the door and I splashed my face with it. When the water stilled, I looked at myself (not with vanity, but just…looked). Two familiar green eyes stared back. Soon, however, those eyes would be lined with kohl. I ran my fingers through my hair and I realized that soon I wasn’t going to have the curls anymore. I honestly hoped I wouldn’t look stupid.

“Meow.”

I smiled and looked down. “Hello there,” I smiled, and picked up Selene’s cat. She purred and nuzzled her head under my neck. Then she licked my jaw and I laughed.

“Meowwww,” she said, and wore on her face what looked like a grin. I put her on the ground and she rubbed herself against my leg.

“I like you too,” I said, and scratched the back of her ears. “I’ll be right back.”

I went back inside and popped some dates in my mouth so I wouldn’t starve today. I got a saucer and milk and poured the milk for Nofre-Ari. I went back outside and placed the bowl in front of her. Nofre-Ari lapped up the milk and I stroked her back.

“Meow,” she said happily.

“Are we going to see Selene today?” I asked. Nofre-Ari sat up proudly.

“Meow,” she confirmed. Then she stood back up and took off running.

“Oh gods, wait up!” I called after the cat. I sprinted after her, and as Helios began to heat up the day, I was grateful I wasn’t wearing the whole Roman chiton thing. I would have surely melted.

I tried to keep up with Nofre-Ari but she was way too swift. I knew my way around the city however, and I knew just where the Temple of Ra was.

My heart skipped a beat when the temple loomed over me. I paid a lot of attention to the three main entrances. There was a large entrance on the left, but it was almost deserted. The huge, middle entrance was most likely for Ra, and the right entrance was for the House of Khepri, where Selene and I usually met. I figured it was the left entrance that I had to go through to meet Selene, so I walked up the steps, excitement brewing in me.

Inside the House of Khnum it was slightly dark, but it didn’t look much different from he House of Khepri.

“Selene?” I called, my voice echoing through the hall. There were no braziers lit but I could see all right because of Helios rising.

“I’m right here,” she replied, coming out from behind a column. This one depicted a god with the head of a falcon, but it wasn’t like Ra.

“Is that Horus?” I asked, pointing to the column. Selene smiled a contagious smile.

“You’re on your way to becoming Egyptian, Alexander,” she laughed. “Yes, that is Horus. You’re learning your gods.”

“I’m learning your gods. Well, I suppose they’ll be ‘mine’ for the day, but remember, my gods are Roman.”