Chapter Forty: Death of a Man (Murder of a Kingdom)

Alexander

I wound my way through the palace, trying to remember which way was which. I had to save Antony, Cleopatra, and Caesarion. After what had happened in the temple, nothing was more important than my family.

Gods, our daughter. I swear to Venus that I have never seen a creature more beautiful. We still hadn't named her, but I had a name in mind. A name that meant something special. 

I hid behind columns and in rooms as I wound through the palace. If I ran into a Roman soldier, nothing good would come out of that. My heart mourned for the fact I couldn't be free with my countrymen anymore, and I probably couldn't return to Rome either. My heart cried for my parents, who would never get to see their granddaughter. might never get to see them again. This was what violence and rivalry and hatred had brought. This path wasn't correct. 

I looked over from behind a column, and the coast was clear. Not a palace guard in sight. I stepped out, rushing to the next column. I looked around again, and I walked briskly to the hallway where I knew Cleopatra’s and her children’s chambers were.

“Who are you?!” demanded a voice from inside Caesarion’s room. I froze and my heart started pounding in my chest. Caesarion was talking to someone else.

I have to do something, I thought. I crept along the wall, inching closer to Caesarion’s room.

“Stop! I command you to stop! I am god-on-earth! What’re you”—

“Silence him!” shouted a man in Latin.

“NO—stop! St—” Caesarion cried out.

I ran to his room, my blood roaring in my ears. I got to the entrance, but two Roman guards were blocking it. They held spears and they crossed them, making sure I couldn’t go in.

“Stop!” I commanded in Latin. “Let the boy go!” I could see past the guards that two more held Caesarion by the arms up against a wall and a third was coming in slowly.

“We have orders from Augustus to kill him,” growled the man on the right.

“I command you to stop!” I shouted. “I am Alexander Helios, student of Mark Antony, and witness to Julius Caesar himself! I am a learned son of Rome! Let me through!” I pushed against the guards, but they pushed me back with so much force I almost backed into the opposite wall.

“Mark Antony is nothing but a traitor,” one of them spat. “He deserves to be killed. Maybe you do too.”

I ignored the barb and looked back in the room. Caesarion was limp on the ground. Lifeless. Dead.

“No!” I shouted. “May the gods damn your souls! Who is this gods-forsaken Augustus who ordered you to kill an innocent boy?!”

“You might know him as Octavian,” the man sneered. My jaw dropped, and my vision clouded, but I couldn’t stop now. The man looked to the guard next to him, then to the men behind them.

“Do we kill him too?” the guard asked, looking at me with a murderous glint in his eyes. I glanced back at Caesarion’s body on the ground…and I made a run for it. I wasn’t going to let them decide.

“Get him!” I heard behind me.

I ran as fast as I could, my feet pounding on the marble. The soldiers were weighed down by their armor, which made my escape easier as I wound through columns and leaped into small hallways. I looked through rooms, hoping for any sign of Antony and Cleopatra. They needed to know that her son Caesarion was dead. I wanted to cry for him. Being a father now, my heart felt heavy for this kind of a loss. Nobody deserved this pain. But I couldn't stop and lament now.