Chapter Thirty-Four: Approvals and Apologies

Selene

“Tell me what happened,” he said in a gentle voice. Alexander held my hands in his and looked into my eyes. The green around his pupils was now just a thin ring. I looked away. I was still scared.

“He’s going to find me,” I whispered, shaking. My eyes watered. “He’s going to kill me.”

I felt Alexander’s grip on my hands harden. “No, he won’t,” he said resolutely.

“Yes he will,” I nodded, closing my eyes and letting a tear fall. “He’s going to hurt me, then kill me.”

“Oh gods,” he whispered gently. He pulled me up and wrapped his arms around my shoulders. “He’s not. I will die before he gets to you again.”

I pulled away and looked at him, frightened. “Do not say that, Alexander,” I breathed, another tear sliding down my cheek. “Please do not.”

He sighed. “Okay, I won’t. But you have to tell me what happened.”

I sat down back in my chair and buried my face in my palms. I took a shallow breath, still trembling. I had to tell him everything. So I did.

Then there was silence.

We were both still, thinking.

“Selene, you’re trembling,” he whispered. He lifted my chin and looked at my cheek, which was red from being slapped by Octavian. Gently, he pressed the back of his hand to my face. I looked in Alexander’s eyes, and I could see an internal struggle within.

Suddenly, there was a sharp knocking at the door. I yelped and hugged Alexander. It was Octavian. I knew it was. I was sure of it. He was coming back to kill me.

“Selene,” called whoever was outside. I peaked from over Alexander’s shoulder. His voice wasn’t Octavian’s.

“It’s okay,” Alexander whispered. “It’s not him.”

I pulled away from Alexander. He took my hand in his and we went to go answer the door.

“Amenemhet,” I breathed as I opened the door. I let my heart settle back to its normal pace. “Come in.” He walked in, but then he noticed Alexander. His jaw clenched.

“What is he doing here?” Amenemhet growled. “Kerpheres told me what happened to you. Are you okay?” He said all of this without taking his eyes off of Alexander. Alexander studied Amenemhet as if he was following every one of his words.

“Amenem…” my voice cracked.

“Was it him? Selene, was it him?!” Amen demanded, pointing to Alexander. Alexander wrapped his arms around my waist protectively.

“No, Amen…” I couldn’t meet his gaze.

“But it was a Roman. It was a filthy Roman, wasn’t it? My gods. Tell him to get out!” Amenemhet commanded me. “Don’t trust the Romans!”

“Alexander did nothing!” I fired.

“Exactly! You say he is supposed to protect you. Where was he when you were captured?”

“Amenemhet it was not his fault! Why do you come here? To hurt me more? To hurt what I have, my happiness?”

“I came to see if you were okay. If you had never met him, that filthy Roman would have never hurt you,” Amen growled. “Where was your lover when you were captured? Where? He”—

“I was doing everything in my power to be able to build a life with her!” Alexander shouted…flawlessly in the tongue of the Black Land. My native tongue. I pulled away from Alexander and stared at him, wide eyed. He continued: “I have been working day and night to make an income and to learn this language so I can build a life with Selene! Do you think I wanted her to get hurt? Do you really think I wanted her to go through this trauma after losing the only father figure she knew? I’ve been working from dawn until dusk at the docks, and when I come home, I practice writing and reading and speaking her language. I do this for her! All I want is the best for her because I love her!