Chapter Twenty-Three: Meeting New People, But Celebrating the Old

Selene

Ten months had passed since the Romans left.

I felt as though there was nothing special about today, but I turned out to be wrong. However, with Alexander on my mind all the time, every day, I easily forgot trivial matters.

“Happy birthday, Selene,” Sosigenes said when I met him in the kitchen.

“It’s my—? Ah, thank you, Sosigenes,” I smiled.

“I got you something,” he grinned. “Come here, my child. Although at eighteen, you are no longer a child.” I walked closer to him and he pulled out a golden chain with a golden scarab on it. The scarab was the symbol of Ra.

“Oh, it’s marvelous!” I exclaimed, gingerly taking the necklace in my palms. I slipped it over my head and I felt the coolness of the chain on my neck. I smiled. “I love it.”

“You look beautiful in it, Selene,” Sosigenes said.

“Thank you.”

Then Sosigenes stroked his chin. “You know, Amenemhet is going to come over. You should get ready.”

I’ve never really cared what I looked like in front of Amenemhet, but since it was my birthday and I was eighteen today, maybe I should have cared a little. So I went to my room and put on a nice white one shoulder linen dress, slipped some armbands and wristbands on, and lined my eyes with kohl. I pleated my hair simply.

“Meow,” Nofre-Ari said, entering my room. She waved her tail in the air, signifying that she thought she was the most important person in the room. Outside, I could hear the dog barking from the garden (yes, Sosigenes eventually found out about the Anubis, and he made me keep him out in the garden because of the smell). I picked up my cat and stroked her head. She licked my fingers with her rough tongue, and then I set her down.

I came back out of my room to find Amenemhet already here. He was dressed like he usually was, except this time he wore no wig. He had his white linen kilt, golden armbands, and a gold collar. Well, the gold collar was new.

“Hello Amenemhet,” I greeted him with a hug and a kiss. “Why are you so dressed up today?”

He laughed. “It’s my baby sister’s birthday. Why shouldn’t I dress up?”

“Ah, I see,” I said suavely.

“I have a present for you. I had it made specially for my headstrong, sweet, darling little baby sister”—

“Who’s turning eighteen today,” I finished flatly. Amenemhet chuckled.

“They grow up so fast.”

“Oh shut up Amen! You’re only nineteen yourself.”

“But with oh-so-much-more maturity than you.”

“Sure,” I replied sarcastically.

“Anyways, here you go,” he smiled, holding out a beautiful golden cuff with the goddess Sekhmet on it. Sekhmet was the lioness goddess of war.

“It’s wonderful!” I slipped off one of my wristbands and put his bracelet on. “I love it!”

“I…I chose Sekhmet because they said her breath created the desert and it made me think of you,” he stated matter-of-factly. I playfully punched him.

“I should have gotten you a depiction of Ammit the Devourer of Souls for your birthday, then, considering your hunger and stench,” I joked.