Chapter Forty-One: The End of a Kingdom

Selene

I sat upright in a low bed, away from the chaos outside, feeding my newborn. She was two hours old and already I felt so attached and connected. I loved Leila so much I would sacrifice my life for hers. I knew Alexander felt the same way. Amenei and his wife were so kind to let us stay here in refuge while we prepared our escape into Canaan. And, for at least a while, I could have a moment of peace with my newborn.

“Selene?” Amenemhet opened the privacy curtain a little bit. I looked up from my sleeping baby to meet his worried gaze.

“Is everything okay?” I asked quietly. Amenemhet looked behind him and said something to whoever was standing there.

“Alexander’s back,” he murmured. I nodded in understanding, relieved that he hadn’t been caught by the Romans.

“Thank Isis,” I breathed. “Tell him to come here.”

“Alexander,” Amenemhet called behind him softly. “Go ahead.”

“Thanks.”

Alexander appeared in Amenemhet’s placed and walked in the room. I gently pulled the baby away and replaced my dress strap on my shoulder.

“Is everything all right? How is Egypt?”

Alexander placed a finger to his lips and stood beside me, looking at our sleeping child, still wrapped in Octavian’s purple cape.

“She’s so beautiful,” he whispered, sitting down beside me. I looked at him looking at our daughter. I had noticed that they had the same eyes, and I felt so proud. Many years ago, I would have thought I’d be alone, just a dancer at the palace, nothing more. Somehow, though, the gods intervened and brought Alexander to me over from Rome. I had met many great people on the way, like Thutmosis and Yocheved, and now, here I was, married to Alexander, a mother to a beautiful baby girl. But our happy life as a family could not yet begin…

“Alexander, what’s going on?” I asked in a hushed tone. He was quiet and we could hear our daughter’s soft breathing. When he didn’t respond, I became worried. “Alexander…”

He looked away, but I saw a tear glide down his cheek.

“Oh no…”

“We cannot be free in Egypt anymore.”

I sighed, frustrated. “Alexander, enough with these cryptic messages! Tell me, please, what happened?

He looked back at me, another tear rolling down his face. “Mark Antony and Cleopatra committed suicide, Selene. They died before my very eyes.”

I sat there with my mouth open, my eyes welling with tears.

“Caesarion is dead,” he continued, “and the others have probably been captured.”

I closed my eyes and let my tears fall silently. Alexander wrapped his arms around me and kissed my head. "We cannot do anything more right now. Except name our daughter."

I was surprised by this request, but I realized he was right. We still hadn't named her. I couldn't think right now, though. What name?

"Her name is Leila," Alexander continued. He said this resolutely, and despite everything, I smiled.

"Leila."

"After your mother," he said. Then, he sighed. “I’m staying here with you while Amenemhet helps us get ready.”

“I can’t believe it,” I said. “Egypt…has been sacked. How? For years we have endured attacks and now…”

“We don’t know for sure what’s going to happen now,” Alexander said in a hushed tone, “and now we cannot worry about it. We’re going to Canaan, the land of your father.”