II - Forgotten

5:30 in the morning.

The sun wasn't shining.

There were no birds chirping.

But yet, my alarm was blasting music like there was no tomorrow.

It's 5:30 in the freaking morning! If the sun doesn't have to rise at this time in the morning, neither should I!

So, I laid back down.

And in return, my alarm shrieked.

I mumbled at how ridiculously early it was as I slammed the alarm to get it to shut up.

When the upper half of my body rose out of bed I stopped and looked around suspiciously.

Hold up, where am I?

I stood up and walked across the dark room until I reached the wall and the light switch.

And then it hit me.

I'm home.

Well, my other home.

Momentarily I had forgotten that I had walked here after Jamie dropped me off at my aunt's place.

Aunt Sandra warned me that she wasn't going to be home until midnight so I, instead of being alone, decided that I'd go to my actual house and see if I could spend time with my mother.

That was a bust.

My mom didn't come until late either.

I faintly heard the door slam shut in the wee hours of the morning.

I should've known though.

She is a bartender, after all.

As I was walking to the bathroom, digging the crust out of my eyes, I guess I took a misstep, because next thing I knew I was falling down the steps, but, before damage was done, I reached for and grabbed onto the banister for dear life making a loud thud in the process.

As I sighed and began to stand up, a crazy maniac rushed out of one of the three bedrooms in the house with a baseball bat.

Oh wait, that's just my mom.

She had a green mask over her face, a robe over her skinny body, and a night cap over her head with pieces of her dirty blonde hair flying everywhere.

"Wh-What happened?!" She sounded out of breath as her hazel eyes crazily looked around the upstairs floor.

"Mom, mom it's fine. I'm fine." I said.

I noticed the crazy starting to fade, "You sure?"

I put up my hand while still on the floor, "Yes, mom, now put the baseball bat down."

She knitted her eyebrows, pursed her lips, and let the bat fall to her side, "What happened?"

I finally stood up straight and felt the need to dramatize everything, "I saw a ghost and then I was so scared that I started falling down these insanely steep stairs but before I could fall to my death, I captured the banister in my palm. Then as it came closer I started having that moment when your entire life flashes before your eyes. Luckily you came out when you did. Your face scared it away..."

She narrowed her eyes unfazed by my strange outburst, "Don't get smart with me."

I grinned slightly and said, "Well, to be fair, this place does look like a haunted house."

My mom sighed and looked around us with a sad smile, "It does doesn't it?"

I said nothing. Just nodded.