XII - Cece

Even though there was a part of me that wanted - and needed - to trust Elf, there was no ignoring the screaming that my brain was doing.

What did I do?!

I couldn't believe that I had actually opened up.

What is Elf some sort of sorceress?

Paranoia has seeped into me and doesn't seem to be stopping any time soon.

What if she tells somebody?

What if this gets out?

What if she's been playing me this whole time?

"Qué hay de tí, Phoebe?"

I took my teeth away from my eraser, which I hadn't even noticed I was chewing until now, and my eyes instinctively became obnoxiously wide, "What?"

Mrs. Perez eyed me, "Nosotros sólo hablamos en español."

I shook my head and tried to revert my brain to think in Spanish.

"Qué?" I asked instead, which seemed to please the teacher.

She asked me, in all Spanish of course, if I could translate the sentence on the board.

I recognized a few words here or there, but I wasn't in the head space to comprehend a whole other language.

"It just says 'My house is on the left next to the tree.'" A voice whispered behind me.

Unfazed, I repeated exactly what my savior had said.

Soon after, the bell rang and I turned around to thank whoever it was, "Thanks for-"

And then he looked up at me,

"Anton?" my head cocked back, "You're in this class?"

From what I could see through his hair, he rolled his eyes, "I've been here all year."

I shrugged as if to say 'sorry.'

"You helped me." I said, picking up my backpack.

"Yeah, so?"

"You hate me." I pointed out.

We started walking out of the classroom together, "True..."

"But wait, you're in Spanish 2? I'd expect you to be fluent by now."

He smirked, "Why's that?"

"Because you're Mr. Know-it-all"

"I took French first but after sophomore year there was nothing left for me to learn."

I stared at him quizzically, "I took online courses."

"Of course you did."

He was about to say something else, but I recognized that we were approaching a more populated area of the school. Anton had helped me and all in class, but he definitely won't help me with my image.

"Alright, I'll see you later, okay?" I said quickly.

I heard him mutter something like "goodbye" but I had sped away from him rather fast.

As I made my way to my locker, I spoke to a few people and was relieved when none of them questioned me about my acquaintance 'The Weird Kid with The Hair in His Eyes.'

But, as I was opening my locker door, I felt the presence of a very tall, very egotistical male loom over me.

I looked to the side, hoping to see Jackson or even someone as annoying as Chris, but my hopes were shattered.