XV - The Switch

We decided to let Jamie sweat for a few days before putting the first phase of Operation: Destroy Jamie White into full swing.

Partially because we wanted to have Jamie think he was in the clear before making his life a living hell.

And then there was the need to wait until Jamie and his dodgeball team had their weekly practice on Thursday.

"Alright girls, we have to make this quick. I wanna be in and out. Got it?"

Jada, Elf, and I were huddled around the trunk of my car.

I put my hand in the center of the circle we had formed. The two girls laid their hands on mine.

"Let's do this."

Like we planned through a series of text messages, Jada ran upstairs to Jamie's room while Elf and I filled our arms with as many articles of clothing as we could hold.

The objective was to treat the clothes like bags of groceries: take as few trips as possible.

It took three trips each for Elf and I to get all of the sweatpants, khakis, stained hoodies, sweater vests, Urkel jeans, anime tees, nurses' shoes, and loafers to the second floor of the White residence.

By the time Elf and I had brought all of the new clothes upstairs, Jada had cleared out Jamie's closet.

Next step: The Switch.

The three of us removed the hangers from the clothes that had been in the closet and removed anything remotely cool from the dresser.

Then, Jada began to hang the new clothes up and restock Jamie's dresser.

Elf and I bunched up Jamie's clothes and shoes and refilled my trunk as quickly as our legs would take us.

We were as quiet and stealthy as possible in order to not attract any attention.

Three more trips from the house to my car later, Elf and I rejoined Jada to help her fill the closet with a mass of grey, black, and navy blue.

"He's going to hate this." Jada chuckled as she hung up a T-shirt that had a bald boy with an arrow on his head on it.

"He doesn't even like cartoons." Elf smiled.

I glanced over at Jada as she returned to the bed to grab a pair of dirty grey sweatpants with holes in them,

"Why are you helping us anyway?" I asked curiously.

Jada looked over to me, "What do you mean?"

Once I hung up a hoodie with a broken zipper, I laid my hands on my hips,

"Jamie is your brother. You're kind of betraying him right now."

Jada smiled and hung up the sweats, "My brother has been a conniving, ill-willed, jerk face for the past six years. He deserves this."

"So, you're saying he wasn't always this way?" I asked, plopping down in Jada's desk chair seeing that Elf held the last piece of clothing in her little hands.

"You saw those pictures from the box of forbidden memories. Jamie was the sweetest kid in the entire world before – "

Jada paused,

"And anyway, I set Elf up with Jamie. I owe her."

Jada slung her arm around Elf's shoulders.

Elf scoffed, "You don't owe me anything!"

The two friends looked at each other, "I thought that you could change him but I should've known he would do something like what he did."

Jada looked over to me, "I'm so sorry. If I knew he had a girlfriend I wouldn't have set them up."