XVII - Seaweed

"So, how was the party last night?"

I shoved a fork full of pancake in my mouth.

I stared over at Elf who had to sleep over because I couldn't drive my car home since my body would spontaneously convulse with anger.

Probably wasn't an opportune time for me to be behind the wheel.

I didn't even have to ask Elf to do any of it – she just knew that I would need the company after what went down after Vivian decided she wanted to make a reappearance and destroy my life.

I'm in the middle of destroying someone else's. I really don't need this right now.

"It was..." Elf started.

"...eventful." I finished

My mom looked between us suspiciously from the other side of the round, wooden table,

"Care to be more specific?"

"You want to take this one, Elf?" I asked.

Elf's smile exposed her dimples, "Sure."

She proceeded to dump her utensils on her plate and leaned forward.

My mom stared at her, wide eyed, hanging on to her every word once Elf spoke about Vivian Parker.

"And then she was all like, 'You will never be better than me!'" Elf said in a mocking tone.

"Oh, no she didn't!" My mom gasped, leaning forward as well.

I took a sip of my orange juice, unsure as to whether I had made the right choice.

"You should've seen her, Mrs. Pierce! Vivian was circling her like Phoebe was prey!"

"Did she hit her?" My mom said in anticipation, "Did you hit her?"

My mom turned to me.

My eyes fell to the floor.

"That's where it gets the most interesting – 

Phoebe walked away."

My mom gasped.

"She walked away? Phoebe? My daughter?"

Elf nodded her head like she was still surprised.

I glanced back up at my mom in slight shame.

She, however, got up from the table so fast she almost knocked everything over.

Next thing I knew, she had her arms wrapped around me,

"I am so proud of you!"

"You are?" I looked up at her, "I thought you wanted me to stand up for myself?"

"I did! And you finally did it in the best way possible!"

My mother sat back down but bounced in her chair.

"I'm confused..."

"Phoebe, before, that girl hit you first. I want nothing more for you to knock someone out when they throw the first punch."

I snickered.

"But, when someone tries to verbally abuse you, manipulate you, you show them up by walking away. That way, they have no control over you."

Before I could respond, my mom was up and hugging me again.

"Mom-I-I can't-t"

"I'm proud of you too!" Elf jumped up from her seat as well.