III - The 4th

At 11:54 pm, I stopped working (okay, staring) at my physics homework and rolled myself away from my white desk. After grabbing my laptop and phone off of my purple canopy bed, I found comfort on my corner hammock.

By 11:57 pm, I logged onto Facebook and started to get excited.

By 11:59 pm, I rested my head on my hammock with my arms behind my head and waited patiently.

By the time 12:00 am on January 4th came to be the present, my phone and laptop started ringing.

Before checking all of the notifications, I decided to bask in the glory of my popularity and just smiled until the last ring.

When the dings ceased I turned my head to the side and glanced at my alarm clock: 12:03.

My eyebrows rose and fell.

Three whole minutes. Nice.

I flipped over onto my stomach and scrolled through the names that texted me.

Emma.

Jenna.

Jackson.

Stacey. (Holy crap, I think that's the girl who gave me the date yesterday.)

Chris.

Kayla.

Kacie.

Shawn.

The list goes on and on with names and some numbers that I don't recognize.

I don't know how there are people who can keep up with all these names.

It's just too much.

However, I enjoy the attention so I endure.

But there was one name that I was expecting that hadn't appeared thus far.

I twisted my lips and thought, "He must've written something on my wall."

I smiled at the red '36' attached to the notification button but frowned when I realized the name "Jamie A. White" wasn't among the people who had wished me a happy birthday.

I rubbed my eyes and slammed my laptop closed.

My phone rang again and I looked at the screen with hostility but once I saw who it was, my harsh feelings faded.

Mom: *Happy Birthday, Sweetie. Love you and have a magnificent day ;)

Aw. She remembered what I taught her about emojis.

And she took the time to shoot me a quick text.

This is an improvement.

In past years I usually had to wait until January 5th for my own mother to wish me a Happy Birthday.

I decided to forget about Jamie, for now, concluding that I was just overreacting and slid off of my hammock and onto my canopy bed.

It's time for some beauty sleep.

I woke up to a sound worse than my alarm clock.

"Happy Birthday!"

My Aunt had burst into the room with a party hat and, unfortunately, a party whistle that sounds like a screaming elephant.

I cracked my crusty eyes open and spun around to sit on my butt and stare at the sight before me.

It was 6:00 am and the sun was just starting to rise.