XXI - You

"You two, too?!"

Chris stomped over to Jackson and me.

He glared down at our clasped hands, and then back up to me,

"I thought you said you two weren't cuffed?!"

I shrugged nonchalantly, "Things change."

"Great!" Chris threw his hands in the air, "Now I'm the only one."

Jackson chuckled and whispered in my ear, "What is he talking about?"

Chris muttered a string of profanities before spinning on his heels and storming away from us.

"I wanna be cuffed to!" He shouted down the hallways.

"I'm confused." Jackson said as we made our way to the senior locker bank, "I thought him and Ximena..."

"I think it's moving a bit slower than he wants." I laughed and freed my hand from the meathead's grip.

I casually wiped my hands on my jeans when he took a moment to glance around the locker bank.

"Hey guys." A voice suddenly said.

Both Jackson's and my head snapped over to the newcomer.

Anton appeared beside me out of nowhere.

My heartbeat picked up a few paces (seriously, it needs to cool down. I think I can literally see it pounding through my chest) but I had to suppress that ridiculous feeling because a more pressing matter was at hand,

"You!"

The word rumbled from the depths of my throat.

I took a step towards him, but – of course – Jackson grabbed me by the waist and effortlessly pulled me three feet away from Elf's supposed-to-be boyfriend.

"Me?" Anton asked in a confused/scared tone and backed up so that the gap between us was more like five feet.

I thrashed around in Jackson's arms,

"Let go of me, you giant person!"

"Calm down and I'll let you go."

"Let me at him!"

"I didn't unleash Chris on you and I won't let you out on Anton. I actually like this kid."

"What did I do?" Anton asked, regaining confidence, shown by his audacity to draw closer).

I growled and kicked my legs to express myself since words were jumbled in my brain and I didn't want to risk saying something that I couldn't take back.

Even when I stopped kicking and trying to hit Jackson with my fists, Anton still eyed me for any sign of crazy.

He found it in my eyes.

Anton also noticed Jackson's grip starting to loosen,

"Do me a favor, man, and keep holding on. She's only pretending to be calm."

I growled again which only resulted in Jackson retightening his grip.

"And you like this chick?" Anton crossed his arms when he thought he was safe, "Seems like a lot to handle."

The moment Jackson shrugged – the moment they both let their guard down – I slipped through Jackson's arms by sliding downwards, then I threw myself at Anton.
Slamming him against the lockers, I grabbed his collar and spoke through clenched teeth to keep from shouting,

"What did I tell you to do on Friday?"

Anton swallowed but never broke eye contact.

"You know I don't like it when people don't listen to me."