Chapter 13 - Secret Soulmates

I pushed the photo back into my pocket and blinked back pathetic tears. I did really love Mello. He changed me, without him I was a calm guy who doesn't frequently give a fuck, with him my emotional strength dispersed and I felt like a pubescent little girl.

I drew in a shaky breath of frustration and turned on my side, curling up into the tightest ball I could. I didn't cry, I didn't move.

My breath hitched when I felt a presence other than my own in the room. Luke warm arms wrapped around my waist and a flop of blond hair nestled into the crook of my neck.

"I'm sorry." I heard the blond say. "And count your blessings, I don't say sorry a lot." I chuckled at his words, though undeniably true they were also very thoughtful. "Mello, why didn't you bring me?" I asked and I felt his arms tense and relax quickly around me. "Because leaving you is better than losing you." He choked out, "at least I knew that if you were in Wammy's you'd be moderately safe." I side smiled and intertwined our fingers giving his hand a reassuring squeeze.

"Mello I l-" I was interrupted when a bang on the door rattled through the cell. "What?!" Mello barked to whoever the unfortunate person on the other end was. "Boss, we got trouble." A voice thick with a New York accent replied. Mello huffed and confirmed he'd be a minute.

He turned me around kissed me and put a finger over my lips.

"Shh. It's our little secret he said and kissed my cheek. He left swiftly and my hand subconsciously touched the place he'd kissed. I smiled to myself. Well now he doesn't have to leave me and I guarantee he won't lose me.

We're gonna be secret Soulmates.

How exciting.