c a r a m e l

"You can pour melted ice cream on regular ice cream. It's like a sauce!" – Chris Pratt

■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □

"Sorry Fletcher, I can't make it to Waffle Cones today. I have a dentist appointment soon. Insert sad face here."

"Aww, but I wanted to meet the girl of my nightmares!"

"You dream about me?"

"Oh yeah, for sure."

"What? Really? Am I in a parallel universe? Is my school going to go up in flames?"

"It could, if you wanted me to do the deed. Insert winky face for virtually no reason whatsoever."

"Thanks for the offer–"

"Anything for you, m'lady."

"–Let me finish. Thanks for the offer, but as much as you irritate me, I don't want you to end up in jail. Or juvie. I don't know, it depends on your age."

"My age? Three to the power of two, times eight, divided by two, and divided by two again. You can throw in an extra quarter if you want to be specific."

"Slow your roll. Lemme write all that junk down."

"..."

"Fletcher? Are you there?"

"Yeah, I'm here. Sorry about that, I almost dozed off. I'm so tired today."

"No worries. Why are you tired?"

"My boss, Melanie, is forcing me to work extra shifts."

"Really? That's a sucky predicament. Why does she want you to work extra shifts?"

"My friend Alex, nearly got fired earlier today for spilling icing sugar all over her, which was hilarious because he's usually a goody-two-shoes."

"I really want to meet this guy."

"Anyhow, considering how amazingly awesome I am, I'm bound to do something to piss her off soon."

"Amazingly awesome? Bro, you need to bring that ego down three thousand notches."

"Besides, I'm alone and bored at work. You're my only source of entertainment in this cruel, cruel life."

"I'm flattered. Oh hey, maybe I should get a job there to keep you company."

"Oh, don't worry about it. Melanie just hired a new employee who works the same shifts as me. Her name's Erin."

"Erin."

"Yes, I just said that. Are you becoming deaf? Do you need an ear doctor?"

"Sure, if it's free. What's she like?"

"She's interesting. Snarky, sarcastic, smart. She's super pretty and has a fiery temper. Reminds me of you."

"Erin."

"Yeah, why are you repeati–"

"I need to go."

"Sushi, wait–"

"Bye."