Chapter Three

Chapter Three

My first day went pretty well; if you consider getting sent to the Principal's office (they call her the headmistress, but I didn't get it) in 6th period and detention for the next day.

It went splendidly.

The students were pretty good for the most part; not cussing or getting overly rowdy. Except for lunch, I could hear all of the kids on the opposite side of the cafeteria loud and clear.

At lunch I was asked to sit with a group by a girl named Emma as I looked for a remote place to sit alone. From the way they kept giggling and covering their faces they were the popular, pretty girls that usually infuriated the hell out of me.

When I saw the pretty blond girl from Spanish, I declined. Something about her just told me I needed to keep my distance. She was the perfect, head bee of this school, every single one had a girl who got all of the guys and had the most flawless looks. And this girl was flawless. 'Shut up, Ash', I told myself when I noticed what I was thinking at the time.

Once I'd gotten through 8th period I was thoroughly exhausted. I walked home, happy that I could use my iPod without getting detention.

I didn't even notice someone walk up next to me until I felt a tap on my shoulder. I pulled out one headphone, annoyed and glanced at whoever had interrupted my unwinding.

That damn blond chick.

"Hi," she smiled a pretty, white smile that made me want to melt, "I'm Holly." She stuck her hand out, expecting me to shake it. Her voice was all sugary and sweet, smooth as honey too.

"Ash," I muttered, deciding to shift my backpack on my back instead of shaking her hand.

Holly cleared her throat awkwardly and pulled her hand away, "What are you listening to?" Her voice was still energetic and honey sweet.

"Music," I replied simply, hoping I'd get home soon. It had to be just around the corner, I hoped.

"What song?" She persisted, not taking the hint that I didn't want to talk to her.

I rolled my eyes away from her and took a deep breath as to not sound like I hated her. I didn't, I wasn't planning on just hating her for no reason; it wasn't fair. Even if I didn't want to talk to her, I needed to give her the reason not to want to talk to me.

"Umm," I pulled out my iPod and looked at the song, "Burn it Down by Linkin Park."

Holly nodded, "I've heard it before. Are you going to the Youth Group today? The one I spoke about."

"Probably not, I have to finish unpacking. Why do you care?" Total lie; and I tried to act as rude as I could. Maybe if I was rude, Holly would stop bothering me. That wasn't going to happen any time soon.

Holly turned to look away from me and I got a quick second to look at her closely. Dirty blond hair with what looked like honey colored highlights that was wavy but looked like it could be crazy if she didn't control it, porcelain skin that was flawless, her uniform fit comfortable and looked to be maybe a size too big for her small frame. Her body was slim and graceful, while her height was about three inches shorter than me.

'She's hot', I thought, but then stopped myself, 'Dammit, Ash, stop thinking about girls that way. You live in a Christian town, it's a sin, and your family would be shunned. Now, shut the hell up.'

"Ashlynn," someone snapped their fingers in front of my face and I jumped, turning to look at Holly again.

"Huh?"