Chapter Four

Chapter Four

​I didn't know what to say, or do, or what. I was frozen in my spot barely able to breathe. Did Aaron just admit he had a crush on me? I wasn't sure.

​'Well, let me tell you a story 

​about a girl and a boy. 

​He fell in love with his best friend, 

​when she's around he feels nothing but joy'

​No way, this was real. He was smiling at me and giving me these googly eyes that drove me insane and made my heart pound a mile a minute. I was smiling like an idiot, but I didn't care.

​'Well, I can tell you're afraid of 

​what this might do 

​Cause we have such an amazing friendship and that you don't want to lose 

​well I don't want to lose it either 

​I don't think I could stand sitting around while you're hurting babe 

​So take my hand'

​He had this serious expression on his face as he gave me this secretive look. I felt someone's eyes on my back, and turned to see who was looking at me; Ash.

​She turned away quickly and got up from her seat, without giving me a second glance she went into the back room Which held a bunch of instruments and then shut the door behind her. What the heck? I thought as I turned back to get lost in Aaron's singing again.

​He was actually really good. I'd never heard him sing an entire song before even though he's always been good at it.

​Once he was finished he spoke with his friends for a few minutes and then came over to me a nervous smile on his face, "Did you like it?"

​"Yes, it was very nice," I smiled back, my heart pounding in my chest so loudly I was praying he couldn't hear it.

​"Do you want to go talk?" He asked, shoving his hands in his pockets nervous once again. He had lost the guitar somewhere with his friends.

​I nodded and he took my hand; leading me out of the room and into the much quieter hallway.

​"Holly, will you go out with me this Saturday night?" Aaron rushed. 

​I was taken aback by his abruptness, but grinned from ear to ear when I registered what he was saying. Going on an actual date with Aaron? No way had I ever thought that would happen in a million years. I couldn't tell you how happy I was at that time. I was so excited I planned on squealing into my pillow when I got home.

​"Y-yes," I managed in a fairly calm voice, though it shook a little.

​His grin widened, melting almost all of my better judgment away. "Great! I can't wait!" He smiled and leaned in closer, planting his lips softly on my cheek, "A good-bye present. I have to leave; my mom needs me for something." He whispered in my ear and squeezed my hand before leaving, turning around one more time to flash me a heart-wrenching smile and a wink.

​When I managed to fall out of my Cloud 9 haze, I re-entered the Youth Group room to find Steven, one of Aaron's friends, on stage with a girl I didn't know, singing an unfamiliar duet. I heard a muffled guitar coming from inside of the back room.

Carefully I cracked the door open and saw Ash hunched over a guitar, her back to me and beautiful chocolate curls falling over her face. She was humming a tune I didn't know. The music stopped for a second and Ash shifted, pulling out her iPod and scrolling through something; I assumed it was a playlist. Quickly she put in her headphones and started playing again.