Elanor

Alice POV

*****

“Oh, Alice! You are making too much of this; it’s only a visit to your mother’s.” Aunt Rose was running her hand soothingly up and down my back.

“Don’t worry, dear; it’s only for a week.” Aunt Flora attempted to calm me down as well, but she looked just as upset as Rose and I were.

The only person who took me leaving and going to Elanor’s well was Aunt Azalea. She seemed quite pleased by the whole situation.

“Did you really want to send me away that badly, Aunt Azalea?” I asked with a trembling voice and her face crumbled in shock, followed by disappointment.

“Do you honestly think that is what I’m doing, Alissa?” She questioned with a hurt inflection to her tone. “I would never, ever send you away if I didn’t think it was best for you.”

“How is returning to Elanor best for me?” I protested fiercely. Did Azalea not know what my relationship with my mother was like? Had she forgotten it was the reason why I had moved in with them?

“Alissa, the company you’ve associated yourself with is far less than acceptable.” The eldest of my aunts spoke with disapproval clear in her voice and eyes. “Let’s hope your mother will be able to put some sense in that stubborn head of yours!”

“But…” I had barely started to protest, when she cut me off.

“No buts about it! Now let us get going or you’ll miss your train!” She ordered, exiting the house.

I turned to my other two aunts and they made the same attempt of giving me a reassuring expression through their small, weak smiles. I could see that they understood me, I could see that they knew exactly how hard it was for me to face Elanor… But they could do nothing about it; she was my mother and whenever it came to me, she had the final say.

*****

“We are here, girl,” the cabdriver – a plump, bolding man with a goatee, announced as he parked outside of Elanor’s house. I had to blink a few times before I was able to get out of my own head and return to reality. I looked at the big, upper-class house and a bitter smirk graced my lips as I thought of something: it was funny how I called this place “house” and where my aunts lived “home”.

“Thank you!” I said to the man as I paid him and got out. To my surprise, he followed me and helped me with my luggage, carrying it to the door.

“I know it’s none of my business, but you look pretty upset, girl. I hope everything works out for you!” He spoked as genuine sympathy etched on his face. Stunned by this stranger’s kind words, all I managed in response was a nod and a grateful smile.

The man turned around and walked to his car. I watched him as he climbed in and drove away. Not that there was anything interesting in his actions; I was just stalling. With a heavy sigh, I finally turned around and tried to prepare myself for what was ahead of me: meeting my mother.

I was just about to take out my keys when the door opened before me and there she was: Elanor stood tall and proud in the doorway, looking me up and down in the most thorough manner. Her brown hair was tied up in a tight bun, her cheeks were artificially, yet stylishly pigmented with rouge and her lipstick was intact, as if she had painted her thin lips only a moment ago. That was my mother for you: everything had to be the epitome of perfection, from her flawless make-up and immaculate clothing to how she managed the household.

Emotion showed on her face only after she was done with her examination of me and let me tell you this: Elanor was not happy with what she’d observed. Her green eyes were overflowing with disapproval.