Some changes

Skyler POV

“Alice…What was that?”

Oh, God, oh, God! What if it was zombies? Or ghosts? Or aliens? Or alien ghost-zombies?

“Okay, Skyler, you are exaggerating,” I chanted in my mind. “There is no such thing as alien ghost-zombies, there’s no…”

“Eek!” My shriek came out girlish as we heard another crackle, this time closer. I grasped Alice’s hand tighter whilst frantically searching for the source of it.

Oh, man, I’m too handsome to die!

“What was that?” I repeated my question from a moment ago as my companion had not yet answered.

“I’m trying to find out, but it’s so dark here, I can barely…”

I didn’t get to hear the rest of the sentence as we saw a wide black something moving between the tombstones and coming our way.

So this was how we’d meet our end? Eaten by a fat, dark-clad zombie?

The figure closed in on us. It was about five feet three, obese and… human?

I let out a bark of relieved laughter when I realized that the fat zombie was actually a short, corpulent clergy man. He must’ve come from the small church at the other end of the cemetery. I heard Alice let out a long sigh and felt her body loosen up. Good to know I wasn’t the only one freaking out!

The under-sized priest had stopped a few feet away from us and was looking in our direction with wide eyes. In his hand he had a silvery pot with what I think was water.

“Dude, I’m so glad you’re you!” I started and he blinked at me dumbly. “I mean a human you. For a moment there I thought you were…”

“Thieves!” He screamed so loud both Alice and I jumped up in the air then gripped at each other for dear life. In a blink of an eye, the clergyman had gone from staring at us densely to looking like a complete lunatic with bulging eyes and spit coming out of his mouth. “Vagrants! Savages! Coming here to desecrate the land and corrupt this place! Be gone, you evil doers!”

“You heard the man, Sky… RUN!”

I didn’t need to be told twice. I turned on my heel and both of us dashed away, moving between tombstones and trees. Unfortunately, the priest wasn’t done.

“Stop! You criminals!” He was screaming whilst chasing after us. “You came here to desecrate the graves. Stop in the name of God!”

I turned around to see him while still running and that was my undoing. I tripped and fell into… yes, you guessed it: an open grave. They must’ve dug the hole for a funeral to be held on the next day.

“Sky!” Alice shouted and I saw her head poking from the edge of the grave. “Here!” She reached out her hand to help me climb up, but it wasn’t an easy task; the soil was loose-textured and I kept slipping. By the time I was out, both of us were breathing heavily and the priest, who had been far away before due to his rounded shape, had gained up on us.

“Blasphemers! Pagans!”

“There… There must be some mistake…” Alice attempted to explain, putting her hands up in surrender.

“Take that, you infidels!” The clergyman poked into the silvery container then shook his hand our way, spraying us with what I now hoped was water.

“Dude, what the… What are you doing?” I protested, covering my face. With my peripheral vision I noticed Alice had done the same.

“Let this holy water cleanse your impure spirits!” He momentarily stopped to catch his breath, probably still exhausted from chasing us around. It took just one look between me and my friend and we knew: now was the time to get away. Both of us sprinted towards the priest, with me passing him from his left and Alice from his right. Not knowing who to grab, he just darted his head to each side in utter confusion.