Chapter 1: Stormy

Dark, rain-filled clouds loomed over Shiz and its students on a Friday afternoon. Elphaba Thropp had just left the library, satisfied with her new books she had found. Looks like rain, she thought. Her allergy to water was not helpful in this type of weather. The drops of water burned her skin. She walked to her room, unlocked the door, and stepped into her overly-pink-and-glittery dorm that she shared with Galinda Upland, the social butterfly of Shiz University.  Elphaba walked over to set her books down on her desk, and then chose one and sat down on her bed, exhausted.  She looked out the window.  It had started to pour.  Well, I guess I'll be staying here tonight, she reasoned, since the weather was so dreary.  She was interrupted from her thoughts by the turn of the doorknob.

XXXXXX

Galinda Upland was walking back from the café, which she had eaten at after her classes with Pfannee and ShenShen, her two friends.  She looked up at the darkened sky.  It's going to thunderstorm, the blonde thought.  She hated them; they had always scared her.  When she reached her room, she could tell that Elphaba was already back, there was a small amount of light coming from under the door.  The artichoke is back before me, she noticed.  This was a rare occurrence, since Elphaba always stayed late at the library.  Galinda heard rain start to pour down behind her, and quickly opened the door to their room.

"Miss Galinda," Elphaba said flatly, not looking up from her book.

Elphaba had always disliked Galinda, and it was a mutual feeling.  Galinda, at first sight, had hated her new roommate.  Now, though, she had actually grown to tolerate, and even like her.

"Heeeyyyyyy Elphie!" Galinda bubbled.  "I was wondering if you would like to go out to dinner with me and my friends tonight?"

"Is there some sort of special occasion?" Elphaba sarcastically replied.  "None of your friends would want to be around an introverted green freak."

"Don't say that!"

I only asked because I don't want to walk alone in a storm, Galinda thought to herself.

"Even if I wanted to, which I don't," Elphaba stated, "It's pouring outside out there!"

Elphaba drew in a sharp breath, hoping she didn't give away that she was either afraid or allergic to the water that pooled up outside of their dorm room.

"So?" Galinda tried to hide the fact that she was terrified of storms.

"So, I don't have an umbrella and I don't want to get wet."

Only half of that statement was true.

"Fine." Galinda said softly. "I guess I'll stay here too then."

XXXXXX

Elphaba was shocked. Galinda Upland? Shiz University's most popular girl? Give up on a dinner with friends just because of a thunderstorm? She couldn't believe what she had just heard.

"Um, ok," said Elphaba.

Some small meaningless conversations and 3 hours later, the two girls were ready for bed. It was still raining, thundering, and lighting flashed frequently. Galinda and Elphaba climbed into bed. Neither of them slept. Elphaba lay awake staring at the ceiling underneath her dark grey comforter and sheets. She could feel Galinda doing the same.

Thunder cracked and rumbled outside, and Galinda shuddered, though she hoped it wasn't noticeable to the green girl next to her. Elphaba noticed.

"Galinda, what is it?" She asked.

"Um, well..." Galinda stuttered.

Elphaba raised an eyebrow.

"It's just that, I've never really liked storms," Galinda started.

"Why not?" Elphaba asked.

"I'm afraid!" Galinda blurted. She looked away from Elphaba, blushing furiously.

"What's there to be afraid of?" Said Elphaba, voice soft and soothing.

"Thunder, and lightning, and wind, and falling trees." Galinda said.

A large bolt of lightning struck outside the window, and Galinda pulled the covers over her head, trembling.

"You could always sleep in my bed," Elphaba offered. She immediately thought it sounded stupid. She lay back down again and closed her eyes, wishing silently that Galinda would not take what she said the wrong way. A few seconds later, Elphaba felt a shift in her bed. Galinda layed down next to her. Elphaba smiled to herself, though she didn't know why.

Thunder struck again, and it sounded like the whole world was being shook. Galinda scooted closer to Elphaba, shivering. Elphaba searched for and found her hand, squeezing it lightly. Galinda and Elphaba both found that this position wasn't awkward, it was enjoyable.
Elphaba, you know Galinda wouldn't like you that way. She doesn't even like girls! Elphaba scolded herself.

"Galinda? Can I tell you something?"

"Hmm?" Galinda sleepily replied after sitting up to look at her friend.

"Ok, but you must promise not to tell anyone, not even your friends."

"Ok."

"Galinda promise!"

"I promise."

"I'm allergic to water." Elphaba muttered and looked away.

"What? I didn't hear you."

"I said I'm allergic to water."

"Elphaba! How do you live like that! And not even tell anyone?" Galinda cried, concern etched into her features.

"Well, I use oils instead of taking a shower, and I avoid rain all together."

"That's why you didn't come to dinner with me tonight!" Galinda realized.

"That's right. And just remember to be careful around me when you're doing something with water. It will burn my skin if it came in contact with it."

"Of course! I would never hurt you." Even though she would never admit it, Galinda liked Elphaba. Maybe even... loved.

"Goodnight miss Elphaba."

"Goodnight miss Galinda."

The roommates fell asleep soon after that, hand in hand as the storm raged through the night.