Chapter 4: Friends

Galinda Arduenna and Elphaba Thropp used to hate each other.  Some would say it was because of their social standings, and some would say it was just pure loathing.  But, as they stood together, they finally realized it was not popularity, but their similarities, as well as differences, that made them come together as friends. Best friends even.

XXXXXX

Elphaba was the library, letting her thoughts wander to the night her and Galinda had shared.  She had never before opened up to a person like that, she had put up walls over time.  The green girl was accustomed to beatings and teasing all of her life, so to have someone not hate her for who she was, was different.  It was a good different.

"Does Galinda feel the same way?" She wondered out loud.

She was interrupted from her thoughts by a squeal.

"Elphie!" Galinda squeaked, grabbing her book from her.

"Miss Galinda!" Elphaba said, slightly irritated.  "I was reading that!"

"Exactly." Galinda said, grabbing her hand and pulling her to her feet.

"Why are you here?"

"For you, silly." Galinda replied.  "I was hoping to catch you here so we could go out for dinner."

"W-what? Dinner?" Elphaba was stunned.  No one had ever invited her to dinner before.

"Yes, dinner. You need to come with me, we have to get ready!" Galinda pulled her downstairs towards the door.

XXXXXX

The two friends stood in front of the bathroom mirror, Galinda starting to pull out her makeup, and Elphaba raised an eyebrow.

"How much stuff do you need?" Elphaba asked.

"Twice as much, because I'm giving you a makeover!" The blonde bubbled.

"That's not necessary." Elphaba said, and tried to turn and leave the room, but Galinda wouldn't let her.

"You're not going anywhere."

Elphaba sighed.

Galinda started to take Elphaba's hair out of its usual braid. 

"Galinda," Elphaba warned.

"Oh stop, you! You have wonderful hair, it would look absolutely amazifying if you would leave it down for once!"

Elphaba blushed slightly, turning a darker shade of green.

"There."

Elphaba looked into the mirror, and she was surprised at what she saw.  Galinda had proceeded to curl her raven hair, which fell loosely around her shoulders.  She then pulled it back and secured it with a black clip.

"See? You're pretty."

Elphaba blushed again at that, no one had ever told her she was pretty. People had always called her a freak, ugly, or disgusting.

"I... thank you." Said Elphaba, but then looked away. "You don't have to say that out of pity, you know."

"Elphaba Thropp. You stop right there. That's what people want you to think!" Galinda said forcefully. "But you are pretty. I would never say something like that to you if I didn't mean it."

Elphaba smiled softly.

"Thanks, it's just no one has ever said anything like that to me before."

"Well, you better get used to it! We are best friends, remember? And that's what friends arep for."

Elphaba's smile grew.