Chapter 14: Confessions and Conclusions

"Good morning, girls!" Galinda's father greeted them as they took a seat. Galinda had called her parents to meet them for breakfast at Café Esmeralda again. The café was as warm and comforting as ever, but Galinda couldn't quite feel the same after the events that had passed last time they were there.

There was polite small talk as they decided what to eat; neither Galinda nor Elphaba had much of an appetite, however. After they had ordered, Galinda snuck a glance at her girlfriend, who nodded. Galinda took a deep breath.

"Momsie, Popsicle," she began.

"Yes, darling?" Galinda's mother asked.

"We have something to tell you." Galinda could barely get the words out, but Elphaba's hand on hers sharpened her resolve. "I...Elphaba and I...we're dating."

There was a short pause as the news sank in, then both her parents' faces broke out with huge smiles.

"Oh, Galinda, darling! That's so wonderful!" Larena gushed, standing up to engulf both girls in a hug.

"We'll support you no matter what, sweetheart," Highmuster assured them.

"Our daughter's got a girlfriend!" Larena squealed to her husband. "Oh, I can't believe it! You two are so cute!"

"That's why...I didn't want to go with Fiyero to the dance," Galinda explained. "He kind of cornered me."

"Ah, I see now," Larena said, her expression turning serious. "I'm so sorry! I should've seen that you were uncomfortable."
    "It's okay, Momsie," Galinda said. "I ditched him and ran off with Elphie instead. And speaking of Elphie, there's something we need your help with."

After tea, finger sandwiches, and a very concerned pair of parents, the entire Frexspar debacle had been explained in full detail.

"Galinda, and Elphaba dear, I want you two to stay here for the night. We want you to have a nice relaxing evening, and I've booked reservations for the restaurant next to the Ozdust. There is something we must take care of in the meantime," Larena proposed.

"Ms. Upland, if this has anything to do with my father, there is really no need. I've dealt with him a long time-"

"Far too long for anyone to have to go through such a thing, Elphaba. And, really, call me Larena."

Elphaba looked away, confused between the surge of anger at the thought of anyone else getting hurt at her expense and the strange warmth spreading through her.  She was snapped out of her bemused state by Galinda intertwining their fingers.

"Elphie, I saw that restaurant the other day, and when Momsie and Popsicle came, I knew we had to go," Galinda said, then added softly, "It'll be alright, I promise."

"If you're sure," Elphaba replied, then turning to Larena and Highmuster, "thank you both so much for everything, I don't know how to repay you."
    "That's hardly necessary, Elphaba. Seeing our daughter as happy as she is will be payment enough," Highmuster said, smiling.

Frexspar looked up from his desk when a knock came from outside of his door.  He frowned, furrowing his brow.  He hadn't been expecting any visitors tonight.  He opened the door, revealing the steely faces of Larena and Highmuster Upland.

"Mr. and Mrs. Upland, whatever can I do from you? I haven't seen you in years, what a pleasant surprise," Frexspar greeted.

Highmuster said nothing, choosing instead to settle his gaze on Frexspar's work atop his desk.

"Governor Thropp. You enjoy your work at your position, do you not?" he prompted.

"Why, yes, I most certainly do." Frexspar replied.

"Then I suspect you are willing to anything to keep your status."

Frexspar's eyes narrowed.

"What is this about?" He asked, suspicious.

"This, Mr. Thropp, is about your continuous of your daughter. And if you want to keep your precious title, then I suggest you keep your filthy hands away from Elphaba and Galinda. And if you ever were to lay a hand on them again, we will not hesitate to expose you." Larena spat.  With a final glare and an intuition that Frexspar wouldn't be a problem anymore with his career at risk, she slammed the door in his face.

The walk to dinner was relatively short, and the couple was there before they knew it.  The interior was absolutely perfect; the candles on the tables flickered against the white background of the table.  The wooden chairs matched the atmosphere impeccable, and Galinda's shirley temple was topped off with not one, but three cherries as well as a tiny pink drink umbrella.

Galinda could sense Elphaba's nerves about Frexspar's visitation, and laid her hand, palm open, on the table.  The invitation was accepted, and Galinda traced her thumb over her girlfriend's hand. 

"Elphie, listen to me. They are going to be fine, and soon enough this will all be over," the blonde reassured.

"Galinda, there's no real way to explain this feeling I have, I can't, I just-" Elphaba started, only calming down when all she saw in her partner's eyes was warmth and patience.  "Galinda, I'm not really sure I want this to be over. He was my entire childhood, and yes, the rational side of me knows this a step in the right direction, but there's a part of me that will always see him as my father no what he did to me."  She finished, hands shaking slightly.

"And that's perfectly okay. But now, you also have my family, our family, to look after you. And I can't wait to start this new part of my life with you," Galinda countered.

Elphaba could make no further argument.

    It was only when the two had returned to their dorm when Elphaba gathered the courage to say the words she knew she felt for a long while.

    "Galinda Upland of the Upper Uplands," she started, a small smile making an appearance at the mention of her lover's ridiculous title. The raven-haired girl took Galinda's hands and pulled her closer until the two were barely inches apart.

    "Yes?" came the reply.

    "I love you."

    Truer words have never spoken, and the weight of the words didn't seem to even register because the two had known their mutual adoration for more than long enough.

"I love you too, you green bean."

That night was the first of many that Galinda finally decided to study for her biology tests.

Fin

Thank you guys so much for reading!!!! This story has been very fun to write, and a VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU TO Horsantula FOR BEING THE BEST EVER AND HELPING ME WHEN I HAD THE THICCEST WRITERS BLOCC!!!!! I LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH AND THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT<3