Chapter 3: Roses and Thornes

Galinda hurried over to the bench where Elphaba was sitting. The green girl turned away, but Galinda saw the bright red streaks running down her face.

"Elphaba?"

No response.

"Look at me."

Elphaba's glare shot daggers at Galinda.

"A monstrosity to society? A walking disaster? Is that what you really think of me?" Elphaba said, voice as hard and cold as stone.

"Elphaba," Galinda started.

"No. You don't get to talk. You agreed with them. Don't try to apologize. I thought you were better than that, Galinda. I thought you cared. No. You gave me something to hope for, and you ripped it right out from under my feet!" Elphaba spat, and even though she refused to cry in front of Galinda, a couple tears had slipped out and burned her face earlier, making red streaks on her cheeks.

"No it wasn't like that! I was so angry I ran away from them! Don't you understand? I do care! You mean so much more to me than those two ever could!"

Galinda hadn't meant for that to slip out.

Elphaba was shocked, and Galinda could tell by the look on her face.

"Um, I have to go." Galinda said, and turned to walk away.

"No, wait!" Elphaba said, grabbing her hand, then blushing, turning a darker shade of green.

"W-we could go back to the room if you want." Elphaba stuttered.

"Good idea, we need to put some of your oil on your burns." Galinda replied.

The two girls walked back to their room, never letting go of each other's hand.

XXXXXX

Elphaba and Galinda arrived at their room, and Galinda went into the bathroom to grab some of Elphaba's scented oils she used to bathe with.

"Galinda!" Elphaba exclaimed. "Where did you find those?"

"Oh Elphie! You know that I know every inch of that bathroom. It is vital to my survival."

"Of course! This very bathroom is absolutely the most important thing. Don't mind food, water and oxygen!" Elphaba replied sarcastically.

"Stop it, you mean green thing. You should be grateful I'm assisting you this very moment." The blonde said, pouring some of the oil onto her hands before gently start to brush Elphaba's cheeks with it, where the burns were.

Elphaba tensed at the touch, pulling away slightly.

"Sorry, did that hurt?" Galinda asked.

"No, I'm just... not used to people touching me." Elphaba said. "But please continue, that felt good."

Galinda smiled and returned to lightly rubbing the green girl's cheeks with oil.

XXXXXX

Elphaba was walking back to her room, where she had put her books and studies. Her father stopped her on the way back.

"Come here," he hissed, while pulling her into a room where no one could see them.
He pulled out a bucket of water, and Elphaba backed up into a corner, her six-year-old eyes bright with fear.

"No," she whimpered.

"You will listen to me! You monster! You child of the devil! You freak of nature! You don't deserve to be here." Her father said, grabbing her wrist so tightly she could not escape.

Elphaba shrieked as her father thrust her arm into the bucket full of water. He slapped her across the face.

"Silence Elphaba!" Her father growled.

The little girl then stood there, tears sliding down her face, burning her more than she already was.

XXXXXX

Elphaba snapped out of her trance, standing up as quickly as she could, and then scurrying to the other side of the room. She stood there, unable to speak because of the panic that consumed her from the inside out, all because of the flashback.

"Elphie?" Galinda asked uncertainly, startled by the sudden reaction form her friend.
Elphaba shook her head, looking away, not allowing the tears in her eyes to fall.

"Did I do something?" The blonde asked.

"No... it's not you... it's me." Elphaba looked away.

"Elphaba, you can tell me anything, you know," said Galinda softly, walking over to where Elphaba stood.

"My father, he, um, used to, beat me." The last part was a whisper.  "And, now, with you touching my face like that, it just reminds me of when he would be all nice and loving when people were around, and then take me into an empty room and stick my arm or leg into a bucket of water."   

"Elphaba," Galinda cupped Elphaba's cheek with her hand.  "Please, tell me you believe I won't, I would never, hurt you like that."

Elphaba's heart fluttered.

"I know."

"Good."

The girls then laid down in their beds.

"Elphie?"

"Yes Galinda?"

"You're the best friend I've ever had."

"I can say the same for you, my sweet."