Chapter 1: Coming Home

(Andrea's POV)

Booking that appointment somehow lifted an invisible weight off from my shoulders and I immediately returned home just like I promised Max. He must be worried sick but in my defense, I left the house because if the both of us would stay, we would be just spewing things at each other and throwing words with our sharp tongues and would eventually hurt the both of us in the process.

Talking to Dr. Bellevue, my ob-gyn, gave me an insight on what I should do and when I can have the appointment, which was as soon as possible, so we can sit down and talk about the issue at hand.

Entering the house, I felt a quiet chill that crept up to my bones and I involuntary shivered. I removed my shoes and started to walk inside.

"Max?" I carefully said, announcing my arrival. My husband sat sorrowfully in our bar lounge, an amber liquid circling the glass. Whiskey? Brandy? I have no idea.

"You're back." He immediately stood up and with his speed mixed with alcohol didn't really made a good combination. Max started to fumble and clumsily walked towards me and encircled me with his loving arms.

"I'm so sorry. Please forgive me. I love you so much." Max said with a dull slur in his voice but I didn't mind. It was no one's fault, really but he feels so much of guilt so I hugged him back, making him feel that we'll work this out.

"It's not your fault. It's in the past, Max, let's put it where it really belongs, the past. Let's focus on what we have now and our future, okay?"

Max hesitatingly detaches himself from our embrace and looked at me.

"Are we okay?" He asked with an intense look in his eyes, enough to bore holes in my head.

Are we okay?

I asked myself if we were and there's no reason or us not to be okay and I nodded as a response.

"Max, I'm sorry if you thought that we're not okay. I just really had to think about everything and had to go to a place where I can have a peace of mind. If I gave you any thoughts that we are not okay, that wasn't my intention, I'm sorry." I apologised and yet it fell on ignorant ears, refusing to acknowledge my apologies.

"It was my fault by upsetting you and that wasn't my intention."

"And now I've upset you because you upset me."

He grins and I copied him.

We were okay.

"Max?" I called out to him while we were cuddled under the sheets, watching In Time.

"Hmm?" He answers, sleepiness draped the tone of his voice while he was between sleep and consciousness. I laughed and his chest vibrated alongside him laughing, too.

"I called Dr. Bellevue this afternoon." I started off and I can feel his drowsiness leave his body. He straightened up but still cradled my head in his chest.

"Dr. Bellevue? Your ob-gyn?"

"Yes."

"Why?" Max asked, treading carefully in our conversation.

"I called for an appointment. You know, just quick check-ups and procedures." I explained and since I have to elaborate more before he can ask questions, I added, "and I'd like you to accompany me."

He inhaled heavily as if trying to compose what he should say and trying to use his brain-to-mouth filter. Max clears his throat and hugged me tighter.

"What's going to happen? Do I have to do anything while I'm there?" Max quizzed but I shook my head.

"No, you just have to listen. I made an appointment since it's obvious that between the two of us," I stopped and as hard as it is for me to say it, I had to. "We both know I'm the one at fault for failing to conceive so I'm going to take a fertility test."