Chapter 10: Settle Down

Song of the chapter: Home - Phillip Phillips

(Max's POV)

Canceling my appointments for today and not going to work was the first thing that came to mind when my eyes landed on Andrea preparing breakfast with Matt on tow just slightly behind her, carrying a chopping board.

"Good morning, you two." I greeted them, announcing my arrival. Matt's shock almost made him drop the chopping board and Andrea giggled when she saw the patatino struggling to hide his embarrassment.

"Sorry about that, bud."

"It's alright, Max. Good morning! I'm helping Andrea here in the kitchen, do you want to come help us?" Matt inquired and I shook my head. I can function well in the kitchen but I think this can strengthen his bond with Andrea.

"You go spend it with your mom and I'll just go talk to Tobias." Saying the word 'mom' made Matt blush and smile towards me and Andrea reflected the same reaction. I'm pretty sure I am, too.

With our family starting to grow bigger, I have a heavier responsibility when it comes to safety and the security of our family. I will never forgive myself if anything were to happen to them because of one slip up that could be avoided.

I went around the counter to be able to properly greet my wife with a morning kiss and Matt looked at us longingly. This display of affection between us must have been a rare sight, if not his first time.

"Come here, patatino." I called out to him and I hugged him and included him to our small circle of love.

If someone told me last year that give or take 12 months, I would be settled down with an expecting wife and a son, I would have laughed at their face and tell that they are clinically insane.

"Max, what does patatino mean?" Matt probed and I smiled at him knowing I had to teach this little guy so many things and I'm looking forward to each and every thing on my list.

"It means little potato for a little boy like you. It's an endearment in Italy and I have a bloodline from there."

Matt just nodded and I took it as my cue that I can leave them both in the kitchen and talk to Tobias for awhile.

The mother and son resumed their activities and chattered between themselves about the breakfast they're making as I retreat in the background, slowly making my way up to the security room.

"Good morning, Mr. Bravucci." Tobias greeted warily and I internally sighed. With that kind of tone his voice possessed, Tobias didn't mean the greeting for its actual purpose which is to remind the other person that there is a good morning and day ahead of them but it just came of as a sign of respect and courteousness.

"What is it, Tobias?" Tobias slightly flinched with the bluntness of my voice and I wanted to apologize for it so I smiled a little to offer consolation.

"The judge's decision to let William Smith on parole will start Monday next week, sir. It's going to be for thirty days only just as the jury had decided." 

"At least the jury still had their damn minds with them because that fraud of a judge is certainly going easy on Smith. Really? He didn't even last for a year locked up for kidnapping, illegal possession of firearms and arson!"

"Someone anonymous paid for his, say, ginormous bail." Tobias eyed me and we both scoffed.

Of course.

"One day, I would gladly lower Sterling's coffin made out of meat in a fúcking shark tank even if it would take me 30 years to do so."

"And I'd gladly help you, sir."