Chapter 2: Becoming a Lucifer

(Max's POV)

Song of the chapter: Angel - The Weeknd

With the unbelievable stress that I am clouded with everyday, I had to rub my temples for the nth time while trying to calm my shot nerves. I have to admit that I have been spending too much time on work because of the company trying to acquire different shipyards from Manila, Acapulco and Victoria for easier shipping and it serves as a constant burden to me and Andrea. I can't even ask her out on dinner dates anymore because I would be too busy to be hold up in my office trying to wrap up this project as soon as I can. Short exchange of messages and calls are the only communication that we have whenever we are not together and if we are, we would just eat together, sit down and wait for each other in the bedroom and I feel ashamed of myself because I can't have a proper conversation with my beloved wife without being interrupted by a phone or conference call.

"Make sure to send me the necessary documents for the process of the Chicago-Acapulco-Victoria-Manila shipyard agreement so that we can already move forward with the last process." I said, ending the meeting at last. Since this is our last meeting until the signing of the contracts for this project, I can finally relax and enjoy some needed catching up with my wife but before that, I will grab some drinks first on the way home. Besides, it's been a long time since I had a shot.

Packing up, I headed down to the sports bar two blocks down from the headquarters and informed Miles that I would be there if I text him to pick me up. Entering the bar felt very welcoming because this used to be my stop before after long winds in the office before I got married but not that I am complaining. It's just that I did not realize I needed a 'me' time and slow down. Ordering two shots of tequila, I sat down by myself watching a match in the Bundesliga, I felt a presence of a woman so familiar it's dizzying because of her sophisticated perfume.

Cass.

"Hey, Max. What are you doing here?" Cassandra asked and I stood up to hug her and while I was hugging her, I see people cheering because a goal was made but I saw about three men looking at me and they are probably my employees which are now squinting at me.

"Hey, Cass it's been a long time. I'm just getting some shots here before going home. How about you, why are you here? This is not your normal scene." I squeezed in a joke and she laughs.

"I know but Thomas dragged me here demanding and forcing me to watch a dreadful baseball match with him." Not knowing who in the heck was Thomas, I asked her and that's how we ended up talking for hours. Throughout our conversation, we reached different topics ranging from the office works to gourmet restaurants which I should try but what she really wanted to know was how was my marriage with Andrea and that's when I sighed which caused her eyebrows to shoot up.

"What's wrong?" She asked and sipped on her water since she was starting to get tipsy from all the cosmos she had been drinking.

"I've been so busy lately that I feel like I have neglected her and I feel horribly sick just thinking about it." I babbled and she smiled at me sympathetically.

"Then what are you doing here? You should be home with your wife and making it up for her." Cass said but I got the part where she spat the word 'wife' as if it's a dirty thing. Probably because she won't be a good one basing from our history and then I noticed that she's being extra nice to Andrea now. Don't get me wrong, Cass is a good person but when it comes to people lower than her social class, she will treat them as a gum stuck in her Christian Louboutins.

"That's why I'm here. I'm thinking of ways how to make it up to her grandly for being a grade-A asshòle of a husband. I can provide her with her financial needs and wants but I know Andrea. She doesn't need those financial trappings in life for her to love me." I said and unconsciously looked at the time. Fùck, it's way past midnight! I did not tell Andrea I would be staying out this late so she's still probably waiting for me.