The Very First Dance

Groom To Be:

I held her hand. I didn't understand why I should dance with her while everybody else is looking at us... Don't you think its stupid? Its too stupid to handle it.

"Have you ever heard this song?" I asked to her, while we were approaching the middle of the room.
"I haven't" She smiled "Ever".
"That's cool".

When we knew we should dance, I held her waist and with my other hand I herld her hand. I tried to not look so bored, because I was! I knew we both found it the very most boring thing in our whole life.

"OK" She looked at me "It's only a dance. We can do it".
"It's not only a dance. Its a thousand dances! With your mom and with mine, with your sisters, with my Grandma and with my cousins and... With everyone else".
"Come on you know you don't have to dance with them!" She smiled.
"Well. We know I should dance with Rikki".

She laughed and she rested her head in my shoulder. I smiled. I was getting married! Never in my life I thought I would get married. When I was a kid, while I heard Tulip's stories about boys, I just tried to think about myself living in L.A., or in Miami, or in any place far away. But... Then I understood I just wanted to be wherever she wanted to be. And if saying in Philadelphia was what she wanted... I was happy.

"Thanks God" She looked at me. There was no music. I smiled.
"Thanks God" And then I kissed her.

***

Inés was dancing with her sisters. My mother was too busy talking with everyone in my wedding. Even Rikki was dancing with someone: with Braxton, my cousin's son. Yes, She looked exactly like her mom.

I turned around and I saw Tulip there. She looked tired and she was fat. Seven months pregnant and twenty beers are not friends, I thought. I approached her. I was sure she was drunk, but when I crouched down by her side, she didn't look that drunk. Just a little bit.

"Do you want to dance?" I asked.
"The song its over" She smiled.
"Well... I think the next song is perfect for us, Tulip" I held her hand and I tried to make her stand up.
"Its reggaeton?" She looked excited. Well, maybe she was a bit drunk.
"Its not" I laughed.

'See you again'. It was like our song. I liked to think that song defined us. And our friendship. So I didn't care about anything and we started dancing it as a slow. She shaked her head and she looked at me.

"Thanks you" I said.
"Thanks you for what?" She asked.
"For trusting me and thinking about Inés to became my girlfriend" I smiled.
"Come on. I just did my work. It was you. Just you two" She shaked her head.

I raised an eyebrow.

"I loved your speech" I said.
"Me too" She smiled.
"But there was something wrong" I looked at her.
"Something wrong? I'm never wrong" She raised an eyebrow.
"Yes. You said Inés will become my new best friend and my partner in crime" I smiled and I waited until she realized what I was talking about "You are my person. And you will always be my person".
"Well I'm glad I was wrong with that" She laughed out loud.
"Me too".