Chapter 9

The light rain drizzled down on their faces and its smell explored their nostrils. Gilbert's foot, that was covered in red rain boots, smashed into a deep rain puddle, causing the water to cascade onto the sidewalk. Ludwig pulled his hip-long blue raincoat down to knees to cover his white bare legs and he whined quietly once the dirty rain covered his shins. 

He flipped his hood up and he felt the rain beat down on his hood. Gilbert chuckled, his voice was horse like he was crying.  

Ludwig hated the rain, the sound of it made him remember when he came home early from his friend's home to see Gilbert crying in the bathroom. His head bending over the sink, his tears splashing down onto the white porcelain sink, soon traveling to the drain. His hair was still soaking wet from his hot shower and the towel rested on his hips.  The sound of rains drops violently crashing down on the roof and walls filled the background with an occasional sob coming from Gilbert's mouth.

Now, every time the rain filled the air, Ludwig reminisced his brother's tears. He wanted to hug him and know what happened, but he stood like he was frozen at the hallway, watching his brother cry to himself. 

"Ludwig," Gilbert began, "I'll buy you a toy before we go met Antonio, Lovino, and Feliciano at lunch, alright?" He smiled at him and Ludwig felt his chest fluttered at the thought of a new toy. 

He frowned once his brother crouched down to him, face still and holding no emotion, he looked into his eyes and wanted to see into them again years from now. Just when Ludwig was going to question his action, Gilbert covered his arms around him, holding his close with Ludwig's head on his shoulder. 

"I'm proud of you," Gilbert kissed the side of his head and mumbled something to himself. Before Ludwig replied to him, Gilbert stood up and smiled down at him, red-rimmed eyes showed that tears were on their way, but Ludwig didn't notice. 

Ludwig's body felt cold without the warmth of his brother's, yet he didn't ask for any more hugs. He never liked to ask for much love. 

Gilbert grasped his hand onto Ludwig's and thumbed his gloved thumb on his own mitten. Gilbert showed a toothy grin at him, walking along the busy street. Ludwig, using his trust in Gilbert's eyesight, stared at his face, watching his smile turn to a firm line and his eyebrows creased down. He realized that he didn't like his brother's neutral face, he wasn't used to it and preferred to see his Cheshire- smile on his face.

Ludwig whispered to Gilbert but didn't want him to hear it,"I love you, Brother," 

He looked in front of him once his brother turned, his hand still clinging to his own. He felt the dash of warmth hit his cold body and he heard the cheerful bell ding. 

Ludwig looked at the small dark toy shop that laid in front of him. His eyes widen when he saw an old man, white beard similar to that of Santa's and small round glasses at the stayed at the tip of his nose, at the back of the shop, holding a small wooden piece. 

Ludwig's feet brought him to him, letting go of Gilbert's tight grip. 

He soon came under the man's work place and felt small under his large table. He felt a tinge of embarrassment when the man's blue eyes looked at him and a smirk, showing his yellow teeth, covered his face. 

"Oh Hello," Ludwig felt better when Gilbert came near him, a protective hand on his shoulder. 

Gilbert looked the wood piece and asked,"Whatcha making?" 

"A plane," The man replied dryly. He grabbed another piece that was found at the back of him on a shelf. He slide the wood piece in the slot of the base of the plane, revealing its wings.