Chapter 2

"My mum died a week ago." I explain. Tony stares through me, his face showing no emotion and my eyes stare at his arc reactor, shining proud like a star. He flips the photo over, reading the writing on the back 'Me and Skye's dad: Tony Stark'. Suddenly, he throws the photo on the floor, storms out to his firari and drives off without a word. My heart sinks and my eyes fill with tears. Ive ruined everything. Im left outside Stark Industries with his friends judging me.

"Um...Are you okay?" Captain America asks as he places a gentle hand on my arm.

"Of course. Ive lost my mum and my dad doesnt want to know me." I mumble as i fight back the tears that beg to be released.

"Im sorry." He apolpgises as he bends down to pick up the photo and passes it to me.

"Thanks." I start to wander off, no idea where but Captain's hand clasps my wrist, stopping me.

"Where are you going to go?"

"I dont know. He doesnt want to know me." I point out, looking up at him, his eyes shine with guilt.

"Give Tony time." Thor interupts, his voice deep and rough.

"What do I do until then?" I question.

"Come stay with me. I have a guest bedroom, I'll talk to Tony." Captain America suggests, as he loosens his grip on my wrist.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Thank you very much." I whisper, smiling. He places his hand on my back, leading me to his black sports car.

*

I drop my rucksack on the geust bed and lay on my back, staring up at the ceiling. I imagine the periodic table and the elements needed to make an Iron Man suit. Its easily possible.

The bedroom is simple, cream walls, wooden double bed, a clock, a bookcase with army fiction, a candle, cream curtains matching the bed cover. There's a knock at the door, i sit bolt upright as Captain America enters with a mug.

"What is this?" I ask as he hands me the hot brown liquid.

"Hot chocolate."

"Ive never had it." I admit, taking a sip as the hot smooth substance flows onto my tongue.

"You have never had hot chocolate?" He asks, mouth open in shock.

"No, its most commonly drunk in new york and in the winter." I recite from what i learnt from books.

"Skye, what was life like with your mum?" He questions. I ignore his eyes and stare into my mug, he sits next to me on the bed.

"Complicated. She didnt like me, called me 'the accident'." I whisper, as my eyes fill with tears. "We were really poor, i went to school every now and then but i wanted to go all the time."

"Why didnt you?" Captain quizes, his body language showing he's interested.

"I had to look after my mum. She had cancer and couldnt look after herself."

"Is that how she died?"

"Yes." I whisper, a tear trickles down my face and onto my top lip.

"Im so sorry."

"Ive learnt everything from books and TV. My mum never taught me anything." I admit as more tears ecscape my eyes.

"Where did you live?"

"London."

"Did you get the plane on your own?"

"Yes. Im exhausted."