One Month Prior

Anthony absentmindedly slipped a hand in his pocket to grasp the leather container (Ian had never been one to enjoy velvet) that held the engagement ring as he heard the feminine automated voice on the other end of the phone line answer.

"Hello, you have reached Marian Decapo's restaurant of Italian finery. Please follow the instructions carefully. If you want to place a pre-order, press one. If you would like to place a reservation, press two. If you-" Anthony cut off the cool voice with the push of a button. A new recital of words that had probably been repeated millions of times to other nervous boyfriends began.

"You have chosen to place a reservation. We are busy at the moment, but will direct you to an employee as soon as possible. Until then, stay tuned." Smooth elevator music began gently flowing out of Anthony's phone speaker. His grip on the communication device slickened with his sweat, and he let out a raggedy sigh before the elevator music suddenly stopped after only seconds of playing. The silence made Anthony's body go completely stiff.

A gruff man's voice answered the line, "Hello, this is Sam Bushe of Marian Decapo's speaking. When would you like your reservation to take place and how many people will be attending?" Anthony could tell that the man had been through this conversation too many times before, and it was wearing on his paper-thin attitude.

"Just a table for two exactly a week from now, preferably around seven or eight," Anthony replied, trying to remain as composed as possible. Even so, a slight waver in his voice was detectable. "Oh, and if it could be in a more reserved section of the restaurant, that would be great," he tacked on.

There was silence, and Anthony could only hear his own soft panting in the speaker of his phone before Sam responded, "Would seven-thirty be acceptable?"

"Yep!" Anthony cheered a little too enthusiastically. He mentally slapped himself for his display of exuberance.

"Alright, the date's set," Sam confirmed, causing Anthony to jump up and down while clamping his teeth together harshly to prevent himself from yelling out loud.

Releasing his bite, Anthony thanked, "Thank you so much."

"Just doin' my job," the voice came again before the line cut off and Anthony's phone was left with no more sound. He quickly turned off his phone and began dancing around the kitchen, Ian's snores emitting from down the hall to reassure him that his boyfriend hadn't eavesdropped.

He did a karate kick of triumph into the open air, feeling the ring box in his pocket press against his thigh as he did so.